Best Cinematography 1950

1927/28 through 1997

Which of the 1950 Oscar nominees had the Best B&W and Color Cinematography?

All About Eve (Milton R. Krasna)
No votes
The Asphalt Jungle (Harold Rossen)
No votes
The Furies (Victor Milner)
7%
Sunset Boulevard (John F. Seitz)
7%
The Third Man (Robert Krasker)
36%
Annie Get Your Gun (Charles Rosher)
7%
Broken Arrow (Ernest Palmer)
7%
The Flame and the Arrow (Ernest Haller)
No votes
King Solomon's Mines (Robert Surtees)
21%
Samson and Delilah (George Barnes)
14%

Total votes: 14

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Best Cinematography 1950

Post by Precious Doll »

This as a very respectable line-up most notably the B&W selections.

I voted for The Furies & Annie Get Your Gun.

Notable omissions (not necessarily eligible) include: Cheaper By the Dozen & Try and Get Me.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Best Cinematography 1950

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Black-and-White

Respectable nominees all, but I'd replace The Furies with Douglas Slocombe's cinematography for the hilarious Kind Hearts and Coronets[/i.

Please watch The Furies again. The cinematography is outstanding and way better than the film you cite in its place.

Having said that I voted for Sunset Boulevard although The Third Man is just as good and was a deserving winner.

King Solomon's Mines pretty much ruins it for me because of all the back projection shots. I prefer the lighting compositions on Samson and Delilah.
Last edited by Reza on Thu May 16, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Cinematography 1950

Post by Big Magilla »

Black-and-White

Respectable nominees all, but I'd replace The Furies with Douglas Slocombe's cinematography for the hilarious Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Still, the Academy got this one right with its award to Robert Krasker for the sublime entertainment that was The Third Man.

Color

Not too many options here, but Kim would have been a more deserving film for William V. Skall to be nominated for than some of those he actually was. I'd give Kim the nod over Samson and Delilah.

Annie Get Your Gun or The Flame and the Arrow would be acceptable winners, but Rosher (Sunrise) and Haller (Gone with the Wind) had already won, so giving it to Surtees for the first time for King Solomon's Mines was certainly an acceptable choice. He gets my not entirely enthusiastic vote.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”