Best Cinematography 1952

1927/28 through 1997

Which were the best of the Oscar nominees for B&W and Color Cinematography?

The Bad and the Beautiful (Robert Surtees)
19%
The Big Sky (Russell Harlan)
6%
My Cousin Rachel (Joseph LaShelle)
No votes
Navajo (Virgil Miller)
No votes
Sudden Fear (Charles Lang)
25%
Hans Christian Andersen (Harry Stradling, Sr.)
No votes
Ivanhoe (Freddie Young)
No votes
Million Dollar Mermaid (George J. Folsey)
No votes
The Quiet Man (Winton C. Hoch, Archie Stout)
44%
The Snow of Kilimanjaro (Leon Shamroy)
6%

Total votes: 16

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Best Cinematography 1952

Post by Precious Doll »

The B&W line-up is pretty good (I voted for Sudden Fear). The colour line-up less so - I went with The Quiet Man which I think leaves the rest in the dust.

Notable omissions (some not eligible) include Has Anybody Seen My Gal?, Rancho Notorious, Moulin Rouge, Umberto D, High Noon, Forbidden Games, The Life of Oharu, Singin' in the Rain & The Importance of Being Ernest.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The b/w slate of nominees were all deserving. Equally deserving were the non-nominated Rashomon and Viva Zapata.

The colour slate were all good too. Tough call which could have been omitted in favour of Singin' in the Rain and especially Moulin Rouge. The Academy seemed to love Stradling Sr., Folsey and Shamroy as they repeatedly received nominations and wins.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:B&W

Navajo may well be the most obscure nominee ever in this category. I've never this documentary about an Indian boy who rejects the white man's school, and don't know anyone who has. It has exactly one review on IMDb. It's the only nomination for Virgil Miller who was director Norman Foster's cinematographer on most of his films including his Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto films for Fox
If anyone is interested to see Navajo it is available to watch on YouTube.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Cinematography 1952

Post by Big Magilla »

B&W

Navajo may well be the most obscure nominee ever in this category. I've never this documentary about an Indian boy who rejects the white man's school, and don't know anyone who has. It has exactly one review on IMDb. It's the only nomination for Virgil Miller who was director Norman Foster's cinematographer on most of his films including his Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto films for Fox.

The Oscar winning The Bad and the Beautiful was easily the best of the nominees, but might have had a tougher time of it had they nominated such films as High Noon, Viva Zapata!, 5 Fingers, (Breaking the) Sound Barrier, The Man in the White Suit, The Lusty Men and, of course, Rashomon over some of the actual nominees.

Color

Again, the Oscar winner, The Quiet Man was easily the best of the nominees, but where were Singin' in the Rain, With a Song in My Heart and Moulin Rouge?

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”