Best Cinematography 1953

1927/28 through 1997

What represented the Best B&W and Color Cinematography of the 1953 Oscar nominees?

The Four Poster (Hal Mohr)
No votes
From Here to Eternity (Burnett Guffey)
33%
Julius Caesar (Joseph Ruttenberg)
7%
Martin Luther (Joseph C. Brun)
No votes
Roman Holiday (Franz Planer, Herni Alekan)
13%
All the Brothers Were Valiant (George J. Folsey)
No votes
Beneath the 12-Mile Reef (Edward Cronjager)
No votes
Lili (Robert J. Planck)
No votes
The Robe (Leon Shamroy)
13%
Shane (Loyal Griggs)
33%

Total votes: 15

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Best Cinematography 1953

Post by Precious Doll »

Only From Here to Eternity, Roman Holiday & Shane are appropriate nominees, but to be fair I've only ever seen Beneath the 12 Mile Reef on a faded VHS years ago and it no doubt did not do the film justice to what was probably its best feature.

I voted for From Here to Eternity & Shane, both of which I have seen on the big screen.

Omissions abound (some not eligible): Gate of Hell, Ugetsu Monogatari, Tokyo Story, Honda, I Confess, The Bandwagon, Pick Up in South Street, Wages of Fear, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Earrings of Madame D. & When You Read This Letter.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Cinematography 1953

Post by Big Magilla »

B&W

What were they thinking?

Julius Caesar, Martin Luther and The Four Poster over Pickup on South Street, Stalag 17, Little Boy Lost, The Big Heat, The Cruel Sea, The Story of Gilbert and Sullivan and Angel Face?

The only nominee that gave From Here to Eternity a run for its money was Roman Holiday, but at least they got the winner right.

Color

Don't make me laugh!

All the Brothers Were Valiant, Beneath the 12-Mile Reef and Lili over The Band Wagon, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Call Me Madam, Calamity Jane, The Naked Spur, The Importance of Being Earnest and Mogambo?

The only nominee that gave Shane a run for its money was The Robe but once again, they got the winner right.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”