Best Cinematography 1954

1927/28 through 1997

What were the best of the B&W and Color nominees for Best Cinematography of 1954?

The Country Girl (John F. Warren)
No votes
Executive Suite (George J. Folsey)
4%
On the Waterfront (Boris Kaufman)
43%
Rogue Cop (John F. Seitz)
No votes
Sabrina (Charles Lang)
4%
The Egyptian (Leon Shamroy)
9%
Rear Window (Robert Burks)
26%
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (George J. Folsey)
9%
The Silver Chalice (William V. Skall)
4%
Three Coins in the Fountain (Milton R. Krasner)
No votes

Total votes: 23

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Cinematography 1954

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:These are generally respectable line-ups with Rogue Cop being the big head scratcher as Magilla has already pointed out.
Actually Rogue Cop is a superb noir and has exceptional cinematography. John F. Seitz, who also shot Double Indemnity and Sunset Boulevard, deserved this nod.
Maybe it's time for another look. This was Seitz's seventh and final unsuccessful nod. It was released the same year as Shield for Murder, another rogue cop noir from a novel by the same author, which I have seen more recently and didn't like despite a strong performance from Edmond O'Brien.

Unlike Shield for Murder, it's never been released on home video. I wonder why. It may well be the only Robert Taylor film that never has.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:These are generally respectable line-ups with Rogue Cop being the big head scratcher as Magilla has already pointed out.
Actually Rogue Cop is a superb noir and has exceptional cinematography. John F. Seitz, who also shot Double Indemnity and Sunset Boulevard, deserved this nod.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

These are generally respectable line-ups with Rogue Cop being the big head scratcher as Magilla has already pointed out.

I voted for Sabrina & Seven Brides for Seven Brothers but would like to give an endorsement to The Silver Chalice, which tough a rather pedestrian and film is stunningly produced including its cinematography.

Omissions abound (particularly in the colour category) and some may not have been eligible for consideration in 1954: The Magnificent Obsession, A Star is Born, Senso, Johnny Guitar, Track of the Cat (with its stunning visual design), The Dam Busters, The Barefoot Contessa, River of No Return, Seven Samurai, Sansho the Bailiff & La Strada.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

B&W

If they could nominate Le Plasir for Art Direction and The Earrings of Madame De... for Costume Design, they could have nominated them for Cinematography over the routine Rogue Cop.

On the Waterfront, The Country Girl, Executive Suite and Sabrina were easily the year's best black-and-white Hollywood films, so none are surprising nominees, of which the winner, On the Waterfront is the clear outstanding nominee.

Color

I would replace the two ho-hum biblical epics, The Egyptian and The Silver Chalice with A Star Is Born and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but the other three are worthy nominees.

Three Coins in the Fountain was nothing if not pretty to look at, but hardly reaches the heights of either Rear Window, the only nominee not filmed in Cinemascope, or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, which gets my vote for doing so much with so little.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Won't allow two votes
Fixed!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Won't allow two votes
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Cinematography 1954

Post by Big Magilla »

The first full year of CinemaScope productions which dominate the Color Cinematography nominations 4 to 1.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”