Best Cinematography 1955

1927/28 through 1997

Which 1955 Oscar nominees had the Best B&W and Color Cinematography?

Blackboard Jungle (Russell Harlan)
22%
I'll Cry Tomorrow (Arthur E. Arling)
6%
Marty (Joseph LaShelle)
6%
Queen Bee (Charles Lang)
11%
The Rose Tattoo (James Wong Howe)
6%
Guys and Dolls (Harry Stradling Sr.)
6%
Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing (Leon Shamroy)
11%
A Man Called Peter (Harold Lipstein)
No votes
Oklahoma! (Robert Surtees)
17%
To Catch a Thief (Robert Burks)
17%

Total votes: 18

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Best Cinematography 1955

Post by Precious Doll »

Bump this thread up as I added to some much older threads that bumped this down.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Black-and-White

Most conspicuous by their absence were Kiss Me Deadly (Ernest Laszlo), Rebel Without a Cause (Ernest Haller), One Summer of Happiness (Goran Strindberg) and The Wages of Fear (Armond Thirard), which should have won.
A slip of the fingers on the keyboard Magilla - Rebel Without a Cause was in colour.
More than that, Precious, it was a slip of the brain. I meant to include The Night of the Hunter, not Rebel Without a Cause. Corrected below.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Black-and-White

Most conspicuous by their absence were Kiss Me Deadly (Ernest Laszlo), Rebel Without a Cause (Ernest Haller), One Summer of Happiness (Goran Strindberg) and The Wages of Fear (Armond Thirard), which should have won.
A slip of the fingers on the keyboard Magilla - Rebel Without a Cause was in colour.

Overall these are ordinary line-ups particularly given the outstanding quality for 1955. I voted for Queen Bee and Oklahoma, probably the only really deserved nominee.

Omissions (subject to eligibility) include All That Heaven Allows, East of Eden, Night of the Hunter, Picnic, Rebel Without a Cause, Kidd Me Deadly, The Trouble with Harry, Land of the Pharaohs, The Cobweb, Moonfleet, Order, A Kid for Two Farthings, Dreams & The Deep Blue Sea.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Black-and-White

Most conspicuous by their absence were Stanley Cortez (The Night of the Hunter), Kiss Me Deadly (Ernest Laszlo), One Summer of Happiness (Goran Strindberg) and The Wages of Fear (Armond Thirard), which should have won.

None of the actual nominees came close to the forgotten four, but Blackboard Jungle and Marty were the best photographed among them. It's nice that James Wong Howe finally won an Oscar, but his best black-and-white work (Hud, Seconds) was ahead of him.

I voted for Blackboard Jungle.

Color

Howe's 1955 nomination and win should have been for Picnic. If not him, then it should have gone to Jack Hildyard (Summertime), Ted D. McCord for East of Eden (Ted D. McCord) or Russell Metty for All That Heaven Allows. Instead they nominated Guys and Dolls, Oklahoma!, A Man Called Peter and the gorgeous to look at but narratively dull To Catch a Thief.

Both To Catch a Thief and Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing were gorgeous to look at, and audiences came as much for the dreamy cinematography that put them in Monte Carlo and Hong Kong as they did for the stories. With the superior story line, Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing gets my vote by default.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Cinematography 1955

Post by Big Magilla »

Here we go again...

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”