The Academy Award Bracket Face-Offs

1927/28 through 1997
OscarGuy
Site Admin

The Academy Award Bracket Face-Offs

Post by OscarGuy »

Sometime in April, I will be rebooting the Friday Face-Off game on my site.

I started the Friday Face-Off on Dec. 30, 2011. This first attempt didn't quite focus well enough on its strengths and, after 85 weeks, I pulled the plug.

I restarted it on Aug. 9, 2013. We are now only about three weeks away from finishing, probably around 300 sets of polls over the last six years. The results will follow shortly thereafter and then I'm going to reboot the game.

We had a dedicated group of participants, but something of a definitive game never quite materialized. They were fewer than a dozen, but I appreciate their time. This time, however, I'm going to try to get as many people to participate as possible. I'm also going to do the game a bit differently.

Since the overall number of winners doesn't align well to a bracket-style game, I'm starting off with an elimination game. We will knock the final list of contenders down to groups of 16, 32, 64, and 128 depending on how many winners exist in each of 20 categories. I'm not quite sure whether to go the "get rid of" route or the "keep" route in this particular version, but I'm thinking "keep" would have the best ability to avoiding manipulation of the system.

After the initial round of eliminations, we'll start a winners bracket tournament. We'll also do a losers bracket as well as we can. I hope everyone will help me get the most definitive turnout possible for this new game.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”