Presenter Update Assistance

1927/28 through 1997
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 17th Academy Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Cary Grant introduced Ingrid Bergman who was making her first Hollywood appearance in ten years, then stepped quietly away as Bergman made the sole presentation of the Best Picture winner of 1958.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Try YouTube. The official Academy page has many presentations available
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here are a few more quandaries. Went looking for my copy the other night, still can't find it. Note that these could also be me mis-typing information from Inside Oscar some years ago and that I missed some detail that Wikipedia caught. So, when it says "Inside Oscar doesn't list...," it could just mean that I didn't type someone's name down.

31st Academy Awards
The entry in Wikipedia lists Steve Forrest as co-presenter of Film Editing, but Inside Oscar shows Louis Jordan
Wikipedia shows Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman co-presenting Best Picture, Inside Oscar shows only Bergman

35th Academy Awards
The entry in Wikipedia lists Audrey Hepburn as co-presenter for Costume Design, but Inside Oscar lists only Eva Marie Saint

41st Academy Awards
Writing Awards on Wikipedia show Don Rickles as co-presenter, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him
Short Subject Awards on Wikipedia shows Pink Panther as a co-presenter, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him
Further, I have the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award and Director not listed in order. Inside Oscar listed presenters in order, so I'm trying to figure out in what order they were presented

43rd Academy Awards
Wikipedia shows Juliet Prowse as co-presenter for Special Visual Effects, Inside Oscar only lists Lola Falana

46th Academy Awards
Wikipedia lists Walter Matthau as co-presenter for Best Director, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him

47th Academy Awards
Wikipedia lists O.J. Simpson as co-presenter for Art Direction, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him

48th Academy Awards
Wikipedia lists Jennifer O'Neill as co-presenter for Costume Design, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him

49th Academy Awards
Wikipedia lists Muhammad Ali as co-presenter for Supporting Actress, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him

50th Academy Awards
Wikipedia lists Mickey Mouse in lieu of Mickey Rooney as co-presenter for Animated Short (could be a typo on my part)

51st Academy Awards
Wikipedia lists Woody Woodpecker as co-presenter for the Honorary Award to Walter Lantz, but Inside Oscar doesn't list him
I'm also apparently missing a whole section from the presenter list for this year. My current list skips from the Scoring Awards down to Supporting Actress. Wikipedia lists the following (in-order?) Honorary Award to the Museum of Modern Art, presented by Gregory Peck; Honorary Award to King Vidor, presented by Audrey Hepburn; Foreign Film, presented by Natalie Wood and Yul Brynner; and Jean Hersholt award, presented by Jack Valenti. Can anyone verify these and their order in the ceremony?

52nd Academy Awards
Need to verify that between the Special Achievement Award and the Thalberg award, the award for Sound was presented by Rod Steiger and Sally Kellerman

58th Academy Awards
I have down that Donald Sutherland presented with Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly for the Music Awards. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Donald O'Connor, but I wanted to verify

That looks like everything. I'm currently now working entirely on formatting.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Congratulations, you found another Wikipedia error!

Gary Cooper was a last-minute replacement for the previous year's winner, Paul Lukas, who was ill. Inside Oscar not only lists Cooper as the presenter, but goes into details about the patter that he exchanged with Crosby when presenting him with his Oscar.

Fitzgerald would have been an unlikely presenter anyway, as he was one of the nominees.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Presenter Update Assistance

Post by OscarGuy »

My attempts to rebuild the ceremony data has been on the back burner for a decade at least. At one point, I collected all of the presenters from Inside Oscar and put them into a spreadsheet. I still have that sheet. Since it seems Damien's book didn't feature all of the presenters in later years, I decided to use the data from Wikipedia to try and bolster my information.

During this task, I'll come across anomalies that I hope you guys can help me out (since I don't have any clue where my copy of Inside Oscar currently is).

At the 17th Academy Awards, I have written down that Gary Cooper presented the award for Best Actor. However, Wikipedia has it down as Barry Fitzgerald. They have every other presenter identical to Inside Oscar, so can anyone explain this discrepancy?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”