Best Screenplay 1965

1927/28 through 1997

What were the best original and adapted screenplays of 1965?

Casanova 70 (Agenore Incrocci, Furio Scarpelli, Mario Monicelli, Tonino Guerra, Giorgio Salvioni, and Suso Cecchi d'Amico
3%
Darling (Frederic Raphael)
16%
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (Jack Davies and Ken Annakin)
No votes
The Train (Franklin Coen and Frank Davis)
3%
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy)
26%
Cat Ballou (Walter Newman and Frank Pierson)
No votes
The Collector (Stanley Mann and John Kohn)
32%
Doctor Zhivago (Robert Bolt)
19%
Ship of Fools (Abby Mann)
No votes
A Thousand Clowns (Herb Gardner)
No votes

Total votes: 31

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Screenplay 1965

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:
Heksagon wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: The full-length film in English was posted to YouTube today, but has since been moved via link to http://watch.fullmovieshd.club/play.php?movie=3520

The site is free but you have to register with them in order to view the film.
Um, what is that site? If I go there will malware recruit my computer to spy for them?
Any of these "free" sites where you have to provide your credit card information are giant no-nos in my book.
I wouldn't provide credit card information either, but all I can see they are looking for is an e-mail address. However, as has been previously pointed out you can watch the film on YouTube in German. It's crap no matter what language you watch it in.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Original: The Train (Yes, I have seen Casanova '70)
Adapted: The Collector

Omissions: Repulsion, The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, Return to the Ashes, The Loved One, The Sand of Kalahari, The Chase and The Naked Kiss.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Mister Tee wrote:So -- nine people have seen Casanova 70? (That's how many have voted in original screenplay) Nice work tracking it down.
It was released in the UK about 5 fives ago on DVD. Though now no longer available second hand copies can probably be purchased somewhere on the internet. However, really, the film is not work the expense that that would cost.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Heksagon wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:So -- nine people have seen Casanova 70? (That's how many have voted in original screenplay) Nice work tracking it down.
The full-length film in English was posted to YouTube today, but has since been moved via link to http://watch.fullmovieshd.club/play.php?movie=3520

Um, what is that site? If I go there will malware recruit my computer to spy for them?
Any of these "free" sites where you have to provide your credit card information are giant no-nos in my book.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Big Magilla wrote:
The full-length film in English was posted to YouTube today, but has since been moved via link to http://watch.fullmovieshd.club/play.php?movie=3520

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

I know right. That is so obnoxious. For example, I looked to see of Netflix had Mission Impossible the complete series, which it previously did. Then, it was all gone. And they don't usually take away tv shows.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

What annoys me is that it had been available on Netflix streaming for the longest time -- I even double-checked when you asked about it a couple weeks ago -- and then suddenly, as if at the exact moment I went to finally watch it, it was no longer available.

I think a lot about Netflix is pretty great, but if there's one thing that consistently drives me crazy it's the way titles go in and out of streaming availability with virtually zero notice.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So -- nine people have seen Casanova 70? (That's how many have voted in original screenplay) Nice work tracking it down.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

"Cherbourg" is the greatest musical ever made, so that's an easy choice.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Original

This was not a very good year for originals, though I'd submit that Shenandoah, The Slender Thread, The Battle of the Bluge and even The Naked Kiss were better than Casanova '70 and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

Darling was extremely well regarded at the time, but hasn't aged particularly well.

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines was a lot more fun for most of the way, but is too lightweight for a win.

The Train was a well constructed story that still holds up. In lieu of any thing better among the nominees, it gets my vote.

Adapted

Woman in the Dunes, A Patch of Blue, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold and The Pawnbroker are the most obvious omissions here. They were all superior to A Thousand Clowns and even Cat Ballou.

Doctor Zhivago, despite condensing a voluminous novel to a handful of major characters, is still somewhat confusing. It deserved all of its technical wins, but not screenplay.

Ship of Fools also takes a voluminous work and reduces it to its essentials, but is more focused.

The Collector both captures the essence of the novel and is a completely mesmerizing cinematic experience in its own right. It may not be the best screenplay ever written, but it's the best of the nominees and gets my vote.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

What choices, especially under adapted?
Kellens101
Temp

Best Screenplay 1965

Post by Kellens101 »

What were the best screenplays of 1965?
Last edited by Kellens101 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”