Happy 80th Birthday, Bob Dylan

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Happy 80th Birthday, Bob Dylan

Post by Sabin »

We don't normally do birthdays on this board but music (and 60s music icons) is one of the other things I got into on this board in my fledgling days here, chief among them Bob Dylan. I'm fairly certain my first Dylan album was Time Out of Mind, which I absolutely loved save for one song ("Make You Feel My Love") which might be his most covered song of the last thirty or even forty years. But within a year, I'd purchased every CD and listened to every song. A few years after, I think I'd obtained every bootleg. At this point in my life, I think it's hard to argue that there's another artist who owned such a major swath of my creative life and certainly none that as major as the growth I experienced in my twenties.

Recently, the song I've been rediscovering is "A Simple Twist of Fate" off of Blood on the Tracks (my first favorite album of his -- and first favorite album, period) and especially the lyric "I still believe she was my twin." A theme of his throughout the album, that being said when I was a younger man I was struck more by the romanticism of chasing the elusive woman of this song ("Hunts her down by the waterfront dock.") while now I want to tell him "Dude, I'd let her go. She's a literal sex worker." (I think?)

Anyway, here's to you, Bob. Joe Biden is in the White House. Men of your age are having a moment. Keep it rolling.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “The People”