R.I.P. Jessica Walter

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Jessica Walter

Post by OscarGuy »

Her vocal work on Archer was amazing. She was acerbic in all the best ways. She will be sorely missed.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I did watch a couple of episodes of Arrested Development just for her, but I haven't watched regular TV series in decades. The last of regular TV work I watched was Trapper John M.D. from 1979-1985.

Jessica Walter was always a treat regardless of whether she was playing drama or comedy. Play Misty for Me was the first Clint Eastwood film I saw that I really enjoyed. If you've never seen it, you should.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I’m unfamiliar with her work outside of Arrested Development (I’m a pretty selective TV watcher), but her work on that show is something I’ll always be grateful for. Absolute comic brilliance.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Well, I am a TV watcher. I had never heard of Jessica Walter before Arrested Development but my God she is funny on that show. There are a handful of characters who are funny in a writer-proof kind of way. I can write funny lines for them. You can write funny lines for them. Lucille Bluth is that kind of character. She was also the only actor who didn't miss one beat or lose her character in the later seasons at all. She was just instantly Lucille, which was all the more funny because in interviews she gave off the impression of being the sweetest woman on the planet and half the jokes were over her head. She was hilarious on Archer as well. A wonderful late career renaissance that earned her the eternal love of an entire generation 40-50 years younger than her.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Jessica Walter

Post by Mister Tee »

Because I'm not a TV watcher, I don't have the grievous sense of loss that Arrested Development fans have. But her Play Misty for Me is indelible, and other credits like The Group and The Flamingo Kid make her notable as a film actress, as well.

https://variety.com/2021/film/obituarie ... 234938246/

Return to “The People”