R.I.P. Mike Clark

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Mike Clark

Post by Big Magilla »

Not all liver disease is caused by alcoholism.

Mike's USA Today obituary reminds us that he first came to fame as a ten-year-old contestant on the $64,0000 Question in 1958 - his area of expertise was, of course, the movies.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 558299002/
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Not that I'm aware of. I don't remember seeing any posts about it, but that doesn't mean anything. He did say he was on a list hoping for a new liver. I had thought there were rules against alcoholics being on liver transplant lists, but maybe I'm misremembering.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
I was Facebook friends with him, like many film critics were. Sadly, we all watched as he battled with liver disease. He tried so hard in the last few months to remain positive, even up to his last few posts, which spelled out the dire situation he was in. It's rough seeing someone who used to be more robust waste away to nothing in real time.
Forgive me for asking... was he a drinker?
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I was Facebook friends with him, like many film critics were. Sadly, we all watched as he battled with liver disease. He tried so hard in the last few months to remain positive, even up to his last few posts, which spelled out the dire situation he was in. It's rough seeing someone who used to be more robust waste away to nothing in real time.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I used to read Mike Clark's reviews a lot. I'm not sure if he was a great critic but we shared a lot of opinions. For me, his most valuable contribution to my evolution as a cinephile was in being pretty much the sole meaningful critic to give Braveheart four stars. I remember his contributions to Entertainment Weekly's critic's consensus board. I most remember him as a 90's critic but he was there for my beginnings.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Mike Clark

Post by Big Magilla »

There was a time in the 1990s when "Movie Mike", then the lead film critic at USA Today, was the critic I most agreed with.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/mike-clar ... SA%20Today.

Return to “The People”