R.I.P. Alan Parker

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Alan Parker

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:Shoot the Moon was riveting with possibly Diane Keaton's best screen performance.

R.I.P.
I found Shoot the Moon rather ho-hum back in 1982 despite across the board solid performances. I purchased the DVD over 10 years ago and when I finally got around rewatching it discovered the disc was dead (I posted about this and other Warners titles on the DVD thread).

Its never been re-released on their DVD-R archive disc though there are rumours that a Blu Ray release will be forthcoming soon and I'll definitely buy a copy.

Can't say I'm a fan of Alan Parker. A journeyman director whose high-points for me were Birdy & The Wall. A quite liked Mississippi Burning and hope to revisit it again. Despite two viewings I've never warmed to Bugsy Malone or Midnight Express whilst on the other hand Angel Heart improved for me on a second viewing.

The Commitments was very entertaining and I can certainly appreciate why it is much loved by so many. Everything is rather ho-hum, though Parker never directed an outright BAD film. Probably the worst 'piece' of filmmaking he ever did was Don't Cry For Me Argentina from Evita. I'd never seen it live but like most people was familiar with that song. It should have been the centrepiece of the film but Parker kept cutting away from Madonna to a montage of other scenes that had played out in earlier parts of the film. If ever a song being performed in a film needed the camera focused on the leading lady delivering a song that should in full it was DCFMA but Parker fluffed it and may have helped to cost Madonna an Oscar nomination in the process. She gave a respectable performance in the film but Parker undermined her. I still shack my head in disbelief.

Journeyman director worthy of an Oscar nomination or two but got them for the wrong films.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Shoot the Moon was riveting with possibly Diane Keaton's best screen performance.

R.I.P.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Evita and the Wall are my favorites.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Midnight Express, Fame and Birdy are my favorites of his.

The new Blu-ray of Road to Wellville from Shout Factory is on my weekend viewing list.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"Alan Parker, Director of ‘Bugsy Malone,’ ‘Midnight Express,’ Dies at 76"

Bugsy Malone?

Personally sad for me. He directed the only movie I was ever in, "The Road to Wellville". Squint and you may see me.

Maybe not the strongest of filmmakers - I called him the Master of the Dust Mote, meaning he was one of those directors (Joel Schumacher was another one) who was so compulsive about the camera placement and lighting, even the dust motes floating in the rays of light through the windows (which meant the film was set in the American South) were perfect - but there's no arguing that he did build a filmography of some distinction. A lot more distinguished than "Bugsy Malone". Bugsy Malone??? THAT'S what Variety chooses to remember him by?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Alan Parker

Post by Mister Tee »

I can't say I was a great fan of the films of his that did best with the Academy, but I loved The Commitments and Shoot the Moon, and had a very soft spot for Birdy as well.

It's startling to see how abruptly his career ended after The Life of David Gale -- not a good movie, but he wasn't even 60 at the time, and, given his long filmography, you'd expect he'd have been given a few more shots.

https://variety.com/2020/film/global/al ... 234722160/

Return to “The People”