R.I.P. Carl Reiner

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
danfrank
Assistant

Re: R.I.P. Carl Reiner

Post by danfrank »

A television comedy giant. I’ve seen him do some interviews in recent years and he was always an absolute delight. He’s been one of those people that you felt good knowing that he was still around, partly for his politics, mostly for his great personality. There aren’t too many legends like him.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The scene in Alan Brady's office, in the episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show where Laura blurts out that Brady is bald, is still one of the all-time-funniest pieces of TV comedy.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

He would have so enjoyed Trump's defeat, I'm so sorry he didn't live to see it.

Forever he'll be Alan Brady to me -- the way he said "Shut up, Mel" to Richard Deacon makes me laugh just to remember. The Dick van Dyke Show was the great sophisticated comedy show of my early teen years, and Reiner as creator and performer was an essential cog. It was only later that I caught up to his formative years' work, both Your Show of Shows and of course The 2,000 Year Old Man. I lost my best friend ten years ago, and I know how Mel Brooks must feel today.

The movies were also often funny, if not classics. And his Twitter account, literally up to yesterday, was a constant treat.

98 is more than most of us will ever achieve, and yet it still feels he left us too soon. Godspeed.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

May he cast that absentee ballot in heaven.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

A true legend.

Some of his films certainly gave and continue to give me a great deal of pleasure such as Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, The Man With Two Brains & All of Me. I only watched The Man With Two Brains again for the up-tenth time recently and it still sparkles with his crazy off-beat humour.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

R.I.P. Carl Reiner

Post by anonymous1980 »

Story.

Another major one gone. RIP.

Return to “The People”