R.I.P. Michel Piccoli

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Michel Piccoli

Post by Mister Tee »

Had coincidentally just watched one of his lesser films -- Dearden's Masquerade -- this past week, and IMDB'd him. Also had recently watched Les Choses de la Vie and Phantom of Liberty. All of which barely scratched his extraordinary filmography -- nearly 70 years of credits, attached to many of the greatest film directors. A true legend.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Michel Piccoli

Post by Reza »

Michel Piccoli, French ‘Contempt’ Actor, Dies at 94

by Manori Ravindran (Variety) 5/18/2020

Michel Piccoli, the French screen star known for roles in Luis Buñuel’s “Belle de jour” and Jean-Luc Godard’s “Contempt,” has died. He was 94.

The actor’s family confirmed his death last week to AFP and Le Figaro on Monday.

Piccoli’s vast filmography, which spanned more than 200 films from 1949 to as recently as 2015, included a number of Buñuel’s films, including “Belle de jour,” “The Milky Way” and “The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.”

He also garnered acclaim for Godard’s “Contempt” (also known as “Le Mépris”), Jacques Rivette’s “La Belle Noiseuse,” Louis Malle’s “Milou in May,” Richard Dembo’s “Dangerous Moves” and Peter Del Monte’s “Traveling Companion.”

Most recently, Piccoli starred in Leos Carax’s “Holy Motors” (2012) and Nanni Moretti’s “We Have a Pope” (2011), for which he won the David di Donatello prize for Best Actor. He also provided the narration for Bertrand Mandico’s short film “Our Lady of Hormones” in 2015.

Piccoli picked up a Best Actor prize in Cannes in 1980 for Marco Bellochio’s “A Leap in the Dark.” He also won the 1982 Silver Bear prize for Best Actor in Berlin for Pierre Granier-Deferre’s “Strange Affair.”

Outside of film, Piccoli also starred in a number of plays and directed three films, including short “Train de Nuit,” and features “Alors voilà,” “The Black Beach” and “C’est pas tout à fait la vie dont j’avais rêvé.”

The actor was married three times, most recently to actor Ludivine Clerc.

Return to “The People”