R.I.P. Allen Garfield

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Allen Garfield

Post by Precious Doll »

I mainly remember him from Brian De Palm's early films and Cry Uncle (1971).
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Didn't he go back to billing himself as Goorwitz at some point after he got semi-famous?
As noted in the Wikipedia article:
For a year after his father's death and in tribute to him, Allen used his family name, Goorwitz for his screen credits.

I didn't realize he's been in the Motion Picture Home since suffering a massive stroke in 2004.

He died 0f the coronavirus. If has hit that place, and apparently it has, we can expect more deaths of the forgotten ones.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Seemed he was everywhere in the 70s. His anguished "Man, I can't stop this bleeding" at the end of Nashville has stayed in my head all these years.

Didn't he go back to billing himself as Goorwitz at some point after he got semi-famous?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Allen Garfield

Post by Precious Doll »

Prolific character actor from the 1970's onwards:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Garfield
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”