R.I.P. Orson Bean

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Orson Bean

Post by Sabin »

I honestly thought he was older than 91.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Several other people have shared stories on Twitter similar to yours, Tee. He seems to have always been very open and warm with fans.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Not everybody gets to be in indelible movies 40 years apart -- Anatomy of a Murder to Being John Malkovich is quite the journey.

I actually have a (small) personal connection with Orson Bean. As noted in the obit, he wrote a book in the 70s called Me and the Orgone, about his experiences with Wilhelm Reichian therapy. I read the book and was interested in the subject, so I wrote him a letter. He responded with a lengthy, handwritten letter which not only addressed all my questions; it also set it up for me to visit the Summerhill-model school he established in the Village. So, I have very warm feelings about the guy.

Unhappily, he seemed to tip over into deep-right-winger territory in later years, perhaps influenced by his son-in-law Andrew Breitbart. I do my best to ignore all that today, and remember the amiable guy he seemed for much of my life.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Orson Bean

Post by Big Magilla »

Helluva way to go but at 91 you gotta know your time is almost up anyway.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 699953002/

Return to “The People”