Whatever Happened to Catherine Burns?

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Whatever Happened to Catherine Burns?

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Red Sky in the Morning the other major Catherine Burns film that she appeared in is another 'lost' film of sorts which I understand is due to music rights issues.

I've only ever seen Red Sky in the Morning on a bootleg DVD and Last Summer on late night TV back in the early 1990s.
Red Sky at Morning was released on DVD in Australia last year and is available from Amazon.us as well as Amazon.au now:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Sky-Morning- ... 165&sr=1-2
I believe it's a bootleg as its not released by any reputable companies and added to that it is not available via any reputable Australian retailers. I've only seen it for sale in one shop (which has some other films that look like bootlegs like The Blue Veil, The Enchanted Cottage, etc) who clearly don't have any issues with selling authorised and illegal copies.

I'd purchased my bootleg on-line from the US.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:Red Sky in the Morning the other major Catherine Burns film that she appeared in is another 'lost' film of sorts which I understand is due to music rights issues.

I've only ever seen Red Sky in the Morning on a bootleg DVD and Last Summer on late night TV back in the early 1990s.
Red Sky at Morning was released on DVD in Australia last year and is available from Amazon.us as well as Amazon.au now:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Sky-Morning- ... 165&sr=1-2
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Thanks for posting that Mister Tee.

Good to hear that there may be a full version of Last Summer even if it does have Russian subtitles. Interestingly the recent restoration of Edgar G. Ulmer's Detour included scenes (or maybe even the entire film) from a print found in Portugal that was the best one available. The restoration included 'removing' the subtitles using a frame-by-frame process.

The same could probably be done with the Russian print of Last Summer but it would be far more difficult process because the film in in colour unlike the black and white Detour.

Red Sky in the Morning the other major Catherine Burns film that she appeared in is another 'lost' film of sorts which I understand is due to music rights issues.

Hopefully, someone somewhere will conduct a search that will yield results of what has happened to Margaret Nelson who played the doomed orphan Sara in Peter Weir's Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975). She mainly appeared on TV from 1974 to 1979 and then disappeared and nobody has been able to track her down. Actually a couple of 'Picnic' girls met untimely passings. Jane Vallis (Irma) passed away at age 36 in 1993 and Christine Schuler (Edith) passed away in 2010 (aged unknown). I've also had something of a crush on Margaret Nelson not just because of Picnic but she appeared in a number of TV shows as I watched as a teenage. Ditto Anne Lambert (Miranda).
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I actually saw Last Summer a few years ago. I don't remember if I found a link on YouTube or if I torrented a copy. The quality was a little poor, barely better than a VHS and I'm not sure which version I saw. But I was very impressed with Catherine Burns. Her performance was so raw. so real, it was almost uncomfortable to watch (especially as someone who also grew up that weird quirky kid). This was a sad but fascinating story.

I've always wondered why Bruce Davison, Barbara Hershey and Richard Thomas went on to have prolific careers while Catherine Burns, the standout who got the Oscar nomination for this film, faded into obscurity. Now we have a definitive answer.
Last edited by anonymous1980 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Quite a shocker.

Last Summer had been released on VHS in the 80s. Warner Archive has been searching for missing elements to put it out on DVD since 2009 but there are bootleg versions available, don't know if they're copied from the old VHS or a long-ago TV broadcast of the edited version.
The version TCM showed a while back was edited (the climax, with all nakedness removed, was barely intelligible).

On Larry Karaszewski's Twitter thread, someone posted a link to a version that has Russian subtitles, but appears to be the full film.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Quite a shocker.

Last Summer had been released on VHS in the 80s. Warner Archive has been searching for missing elements to put it out on DVD since 2009 but there are bootleg versions available, don't know if they're copied from the old VHS or a long-ago TV broadcast of the edited version.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I didn’t know that Last Summer was an almost lost film. I actually happen to own a (digital) copy of the film.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:The Hollywood Reporter goes digging into the later life of an Oscar nominee many of us cherished. It's not a particularly happy story.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... ee-1275646
What a sad end although it appears she lived a happy normal life away from the limelight with her husband.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Whatever Happened to Catherine Burns?

Post by Mister Tee »

The Hollywood Reporter goes digging into the later life of an Oscar nominee many of us cherished. It's not a particularly happy story.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... ee-1275646

Return to “The People”