R.I.P. Ivan Passer

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Ivan Passer

Post by Precious Doll »

I actually have a set of lobby cards for Cutter's Way when it was titled Cutter and Bone. Don't know if UA ever did a new batch with the title change and re-release.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Ivan Passer

Post by Mister Tee »

A friend of mine was instrumental in rescuing Cutter's Way from the trash heap of film history. The film had flopped as a UA release, then titled Cutter and Bone. The newly-formed UA Classics (spearheaded by my friend) took it over, retitled it and got critics to look at it anew. It still didn't make that much money, but, re-classified as an indie, it seemed a minor success. I always said it was the first movie turned from a flop to a hit via bookkeeping.

Passer never had the Hollywood success his compatriates like Forman did. His biggest foray into mainstream filmmaking -- Law and Disorder -- was an intermittently effective but way-too-depressing look at the working class. His Czech film Intimate Lighting probably remained his highest achievement.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Ivan Passer

Post by Precious Doll »

Czech film director who fled Czechoslovakia in 1969 (with Milos Forman) and immigrated to the US. He was best known for Intimate Lighting, Silver Bears & Cutters Way:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/ivan ... 203462725/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Passer
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”