R.I.P. Tony Britton

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Tony Britton

Post by Reza »

Actor Tony Britton has died aged 95.

His daughter, TV presenter Fern Britton, announced on Twitter that he had died early on Sunday morning.

"Great actor, director and charmer," she wrote. "May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

Britton was best known for starring in BBC sitcom Don't Wait Up alongside Nigel Havers in the 1980s, as well as many British films including The Day of the Jackal.

He also appeared in Robin's Nest alongside Richard O'Sullivan and Tessa Wyatt, and films Operation Amsterdam as well as Sunday Bloody Sunday.

In 1975 he won the Broadcasting Press Guild's best actor award for his role in The Nearly Man.

Fern Britton's tweet sparked hundreds of tributes and messages of support on social media.

Born in Birmingham, Britton served in the Army and worked in an aircraft factory during World War Two.

Interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs in 1973, Britton said he did not come from a theatrical background "at all".

"I believe one of my many aunts had a good voice but she never used it professionally," he said.

Britton added: "Ever since I was old enough to think, I've always wanted to be an actor. I couldn't tell you why, it was just there."

He joined an amateur dramatics group in Weston-super-Mare before turning professional.

He went on to appear on stage at the Old Vic and with the Royal Shakespeare Company, as well as the role of Professor Higgins in My Fair Lady for two and a half years as part of a national tour.

In 1955, Britton played Romeo on TV, which led him to get a film contract
In 2013, Britton appeared a production of Shakespeare's King Lear at the Old Vic in London.

He had two children with his first wife, Ruth Hawkins - Fern and scriptwriter Cherry Britton.

He had a son Jasper with his second wife, Danish sculptor Eva Castle Britton (nee Skytte Birkenfeldt).

Return to “The People”