R.I.P. Danny Aiello

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Danny Aiello

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:For a character actor who some might say only had the one moment in the limelight with Do the Right Thing, he has it, Leon: The Professional, Moonstruck, Radio Days, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Once Upon a Time in America, and The Godfather Part II on his filmography. Many actors spend their careers in leading roles and don't end up in that many classic films that are still popular decades after their release.
He also had a number of Broadway credits -- a long starring run in Gemini and a notable supporting role in the famous 1986 House of Blue Leaves revival (both of which I saw), and a lead in a play called Knockout, which NYers of the time will remember as a play that advertised incessantly on local TV.

Tough week for character actors.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:I thought he had died something like ten years ago and was stunned last year when he turned up in a (very bad) new movie that was streaming one Amazon Prime.
His son, Danny Aiello Jr., a long-time stunt coordinator, died almost ten years ago on 5/1/2010 of pancreatic cancer. He was only 53. Another son, Rick Aiello, age 61, is a character actor.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I thought he had died something like ten years ago and was stunned last year when he turned up in a (very bad) new movie that was streaming one Amazon Prime.

For a character actor who some might say only had the one moment in the limelight with Do the Right Thing, he has it, Leon: The Professional, Moonstruck, Radio Days, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Once Upon a Time in America, and The Godfather Part II on his filmography. Many actors spend their careers in leading roles and don't end up in that many classic films that are still popular decades after their release.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Danny Aiello

Post by Reza »

Return to “The People”