R.I.P. D.A. Pennebaker

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. D.A. Pennebaker

Post by Sonic Youth »

For me, of course, D.A. Pennebaker meant Monterrey Pop and Don't Look Back above all else. I shall burn a guitar in his honor.
Precious Doll wrote:My favourite Pennebaker film is Town Bloody Hall (1979). It was an absolute hoot pure pleasure seeing Norman Mailer & Germaine Greer got at each other :lol:
A hoot it may well be, but it's also an utter embarrassment. This is was supposedly the intellectual elite back then. Whenever a boomer wants to denigrate the millenials and proclaim their generation was far more enlightened and civilized and mature, they should watch this.

http://www.historicfilms.com/tapes/9658

If you only have time for two minutes, skip to the 1:06 to watch Cynthia Ozick embarrass Norman Mailer with his own inflated ego. Last week when Rip Torn died, I posted on my Facebook page the scene from "The Millstone" where Torn flips out and assaults Norm with a hammer. I certainly don't wish death on anyone, but were Dick Cavett to pass it would be a true death-in-threes. I could post the clip of Mailer getting humiliated by Gore Vidal on the Dick Cavett show, and the tripartite would be complete.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

My favourite Pennebaker film is Town Bloody Hall (1979). It was an absolute hoot pure pleasure seeing Norman Mailer & Germaine Greer got at each other :lol:
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A true legend, with a career spanning many decades and disciplines.

Pennebaker made his breathrough with Don't Look Back and Monterey Pop -- two indispensable documentaries if you're studying the 60s or pop music. But he was equally at home covering the NY theatre, with Original Cast Album: Company and Moon Over Broadway (the former such an influential film that Documentary Now! did a parody of it just this year). And later he did The War Room, the doc about the first Clinton campaign that made James Carville and George Stephanopolous stars. And so much more along the way.

Easily one of the most significant documentarians of this era, with a longevity difficult to match.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. D.A. Pennebaker

Post by Precious Doll »

Documentarian and recent Honorary Oscar recipient

https://www.thewrap.com/da-pennebaker-d ... ies-at-94/
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”