R.I.P. Bill Collins

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Bill Collins

Post by Precious Doll »

I know he is unknown beyond the coastline of Australia but Bill Collins was a household for decades on Australian television introducing movies across all of the free to air networks and then pay TV. His introductions to films were mandatory viewing and it was not uncommon to run into him at the cinema or in the street - when Sydney was a lot smaller.

He also had a very small role in the The Howling Part III as a doctor. A good friend of mine went to see Bette Davis doing a Q&A at the Sydney Opera House in the 1970s and Bill Collins was as stage of light up her cigarettes as needed.

And he wasn't just about 'old classic Hollywood films'. His favourite film of the 1970s was Private Lives, Public Virtues (1976) by Miklos Jancso. His raves in 1977 turned the film into an arthouse hit.

He will me truely missed by Australian movie lovers and they certainly broke the cast after Bill was born :cry: . His love of cinema was infectious.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mo ... 51zxk.html
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”