R.I.P. Sondra Locke

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Sondra Locke

Post by Precious Doll »

A rather thoughtful take on Sondra Locke by Peter Bradshaw from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/d ... t-eastwood
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Weren't there a lot of murmurs that she felt Eastwood did a bit to sabotage her after their relationship ended?
More than a bit it seems if the details in her mini-bio on IMDb. are accurate.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0516800/bio ... _ov_bio_sm
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Weren't there a lot of murmurs that she felt Eastwood did a bit to sabotage her after their relationship ended? Her appearances in his films did quite a bit to elevate her visibility, but he may have been both good and bad for her. (I wonder how she would have felt hearing her obituary on ABC News tonight begin "We know her from all those Clint Eastwood movies"?)

She was truly wonderful in The Heart is A Lonely Hunter, and I even have some fondness for her work in Willard.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:This is a shocker. As I get older 74 doesn't seem that old.

Sondra Locke is one of those actresses that I always thought we never really got to see the full potential of.
She was outstanding in The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Later she got stuck in that Clint Eastwood rut - a slew of his lousy movies - and sadly never recovered from her career slump especially after their relationship turned acrimonious.
I've always had a sweet spot for The Gauntlet. Locke had a potentially interesting career as a director with Rat Boy (1986) & Impulse (1990) (with Theresa Russell) both financed by Warners, which no doubt had a lot to do with Eastwood's influence at Warners. Given that they both failed at the box office along with the end of her relationship with Eastwood that pretty much spelled the end of a career change, though Locke went on to direct one more feature film and a TV film.

Her last screen appearance in the latest film by Alan Rudolph, a very hit and miss writer/director over the years, is called Ray Meets Helen co-starring Rudolph regular Keith Carradine. By all accounts this one is one of Rudolph's misses.
Last edited by Precious Doll on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:This is a shocker. As I get older 74 doesn't seem that old.

Sondra Locke is one of those actresses that I always thought we never really got to see the full potential of.
She was outstanding in The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Later she got stuck in that Clint Eastwood rut - a slew of his lousy movies - and sadly never recovered from her career slump especially after their relationship turned acrimonious.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

This is a shocker. As I get older 74 doesn't seem that old.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Sondra Locke

Post by Big Magilla »

Oscar nominee died November 3rd, death not reported until now.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/sond ... hRz5s8d14g

Return to “The People”