R.I.P. Glen Campbell

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Glen Campbell

Post by dws1982 »

Earned his spot in the record books early on, with "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", "Gentle On My Mind", "Wichita Lineman", and (my favorite of his songs) "Galveston".

Not a big fan of some of his stuff that followed that; "Rhinestone County" may not be the worst song to hit number one on the country charts in 1975--that was the year Conway Twitty had "Linda On My Mind", after all--but it's pretty bad, and not much else he recorded for 25 years after that is very memorable. But he recorded some very good material after his Alzheimer's diagnosis, up there with Johnny Cash as one of the great final acts in country music.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Glen Campbell

Post by Mister Tee »

We of course knew this was coming, but still...

I was never a big country fan, but I liked his early pop-country stuff, especially By the Time I get to Phoenix.

Was startled to note on the IMDB that he was a frequent performer at the Oscars in the 70s -- singing his own True Grit, as well as Pieces of Dreams and the long-forgotten Marmalade, Molasses and Honey. And of course he had that brief acting career, peaking in True Grit.

Tough day in the music world.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/glen ... 202519954/

Return to “The People”