Daniel Day-Lewis retires from acting again

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Daniel Day-Lewis retires from acting again

Post by Big Magilla »

I really don't think Toni Erdmann is going to get made with Nicholson. At 80, he lacks the energy required to play the part of a 60-something man. This is a role more suited to someone of Day-Lewis's age. Maybe after Nicholson gives up the idea in a year or two, it will announced as Day-Lewis's comeback vehicle.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I think Sean Connery officially retired.

I don't think Bridget Fonda (someone else I miss seeing on the screen) has officially retired.

Some others are Tuesday Weld, Albert Finney, Susan Clark, Barbara Harris & Susan Anspach who all appear to have retired but have to my knowledge never actually announced it. In the case of Albert Finney he had some major health issues a couple of years ago (kidney cancer).

If a recall correctly Jack Nicholson has never actually retired but isn't keen on making films with the state of cinema in the U.S. Hope the re-make of Toni Erdmann never develops beyond rumour - he is too good to appear in what will probably be a watered down version of the film.

Ken Loach was another director who 'retired' with Jimmy's Hall, only to make I, Daniel Blake two years later and win the top prize at Cannes. Loach stated they he came out of retirement as he felt that the screenplay tackled subject matter that needed to be told. Given the treatment that the most needy receive at the hands of their out of touch Government in the UK and the disdainful way that these people are treated I applaud him. The exact same thing is going on in my country and watching it all play out in the media is very distressing and the Governments attitude beyond disgusting.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I can't remember; did Sean Connery announce he was retiring, or did he just stop working? I know word was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen definitely put him off of the whole moviemaking thing.

Bridget Fonda is one who quietly retired. She hasn't worked in 15 years. I think she's been focusing on the mom thing for most of that time; not sure if she's planning on going back to work when her son is older or not.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:Gene Hackman is the only living actor I can think of who announced he was retiring and actually did it.
Sean Connery.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Gene Hackman is the only living actor I can think of who announced he was retiring and actually did it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I really wish actors (and directors too e.g. Steven Soderbergh & Emir Kusturica) would stop saying this. Most of the time they don't really mean it and this is Day-Lewis' second time of announcing this.

They should take a leaf out of Debra Winger's book. She disappeared (regrettably) from our screens after Forgot Paris and never made any announcement that she was 'retiring' or having a break. Though she later stated that she wasn't getting any roles that interested her, which if you don't need the money or have the ego, is fair enough. I personally missed her but I respect her for doing what she wanted to do.

What on earth happened to Tilda Swinton, Gerard Depardieu, Anthony Hopkins and Kristen Scott-Thomas's 'retirements' - just actor's 'speak' by the sounds of it. Same with the odious Nicole Kidman who stated a number of years ago that she was going to cut down on her acting roles to 'spend my time with my kids/family' and is making film after film after TV series like there is no tomorrow. Interesting to see if John Malkovich, another who recently announced that he was 'quitting acting' to take up designing fashion - I think, sticks to his announcement (I doubt it).

Actors need to be told you are only retired after you have passed. And then even sometimes not: Peter Cushing.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

His film awaiting release has been titled "Phantom Thread".
dws1982
Emeritus

Daniel Day-Lewis retires from acting again

Post by dws1982 »

Daniel Day-Lewis Quits Acting

Three-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis, widely considered one of the preeminent actors of his generation, is retiring from acting, Variety has learned.

The 60-year-old star, who has played presidents, writers, and gang leaders in a career that has spanned four decades, has one final film awaiting release, an untitled drama set in the world of high fashion. It is scheduled to hit theaters on December 25, 2017 and reunites him with Paul Thomas Anderson, who directed Day-Lewis to a best actor Oscar in 2007’s “There Will Be Blood.” Day-Lewis intends to help promote the movie, according to a person familiar with his plans.

He did not give a reason for his retirement. In a statement, Day-Lewis’ spokeswoman, Leslee Dart, confirmed the news: “Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor. He is immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences over the many years. This is a private decision and neither he nor his representatives will make any further comment on this subject. ”

Day-Lewis is the performer to ever win three best actor Oscars, for the title role in Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln,” his turn as a rapacious oil man in “There Will Be Blood,” and his performance as writer and artist Christy Brown in “My Left Foot.” He earned two other Academy Award nominations for “Gangs of New York” and “In the Name of the Father.”

Day-Lewis has been praised for his shape-shifting acting and versatility. He is known for going to extreme lengths for his performances, frequently remaining in character off-screen. He has also starred in musicals (“Nine”), adventure epics (“The Last of the Mohicans“), and period dramas (“The Age of Innocence”).

The method master once learned Czech to play a philandering doctor in “The Unbearable Lightness of Being,” listened to Eminem records to channel rage in “Gangs of New York,” and confined himself to a wheelchair for “My Left Foot” to play Brown, who had cerebral palsy.

Day-Lewis, who is the son of poet Cecil Day-Lewis and English actress Jill Balcon, made his screen debut at the age of 14 in a bit part in 1971’s “Sunday, Bloody Sunday.” He first gained attention on the stage and on television before dazzling critics in 1985 with the one-two punch of “My Beautiful Laundrette” and “A Room With a View,” convincingly playing a street tough and an upper class Edwardian.

Although he has remained in high demand, Day-Lewis is also known as being highly selective, often waiting years between projects. In the late ’90s and early aughts he appeared to give up acting for a while, reportedly working as a cobbler before Martin Scorsese convinced him to return to the screen for “Gangs of New York.”

Day-Lewis has three children and is married to writer and director Rebecca Miller.

Return to “The People”