R.I.P. Bill Dana

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Bill Dana

Post by Big Magilla »

He was a comedy writer in the 1950s. He didn't become a comedian/actor until 1960 when I was in high school and working as an usher/candy attendant with limited time to watch TV, so I had only a passing knowledge of him. Most of his "acting" from 1960 through the early 1970s was as "José Jimenez". I suspect that more people today know him from his six appearances as Angelo on the constantly re-running The Golden Girls than from The Right Stuff.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Bill Dana

Post by Mister Tee »

I guess if anyone under 50 knows who Bill Dana is, it's from his very brief file-footage appearance in The Right Stuff. But he was hugely famous for a time in the late 50s/early 60s, for an act that plainly reads as racist today but was looked at benignly in that more naive time. "My name Jose Jimenez" was as widely known a phrase as "Show me the money", and Dana was especially popular with the Mercury astronauts (hence The Right Stuff appearance) for playing Jose as a would-be part of the space program.

He also created/starred in a series, The Bill Dana Show, where he played Jose as a bellhop, with Don Adams by his side as house detective in a role that was essentially the rough draft of Maxwell Smart. (That character I believe is still known today, yes?)

As I say, indefensible by today's standards -- as is Hogan's Heroes, and dozens of other things we watched back then -- but something I admit made me laugh when I was much younger.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/arts ... .html?_r=0

Return to “The People”