R.I.P. Adam West

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Adam West

Post by anonymous1980 »

The 1960's Batman series were always on the air when I was growing up so I know him from those. I'm guessing a lot of people who are even younger than I am know him for his longtime recurring voice role as a wacky version of himself as the mayor of the fictional town in Family Guy. They recently released an animated revival of the 1960's version of Batman with him, Burt Ward and I think even Frank Gorshin reprising their roles.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: R.I.P. Adam West

Post by Mister Tee »

I've been somewhat surprised to see folks much younger than I express great sadness over this. I'd have thought West was strictly a boomer phenomenon.

Batman was the ultimate short-lived fad (something we had a ton of in the 60s). The show was a mid-season replacement, and opened without much fanfare, mostly pitched to people my age who were readers of the comic book. But quickly word got around that it was truly camp fun (this in camp's heyday), and it became something all the cool people watched, for the deadpan puns and gimmicks. "Holy (fill-in-the-blank), Batman!" became a catch-phrase that I believe lingers even unto today. Like most fads, it burnt out fairly quickly -- within a year or two, the audience had moved on -- but no one's forgotten the show.

West's deadly serious delivery was a key element in the show's success. I'm glad for him that he maintained a certain level of recognition for the remainder of his life. He's a very pleasing memory from my early years.
anonymous1980
Laureate

R.I.P. Adam West

Post by anonymous1980 »

I grew up watching him as Batman.

RIP.

Return to “The People”