R.I.P. Tim Pigott-Smith

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Tim Pigott-Smith

Post by Big Magilla »

Great mini-series. The two things I remember most about it were Peggy Ashcroft's agonizing death scene and Pigott-Smith's (or was it Charles Dance's) then extremely shocking line for PBS, "she likes black cock", about the woman who spurned him.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:I never watched Jewel in the Crown, but I saw him do King Charles III last year, and he was excellent. Also, a few months ago, caught him doing a small part in a 70s British miniseries The Glittering Prizes -- so his career was very long. A salute.
Before he passed he completed a film version of King Charles III (for BBC tv) and Victoria and Abdul with Judi Dench as the Queen.

The most memorable screen role of his career no doubt was in The Jewel in the Crown which is certainly worth watching.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I never watched Jewel in the Crown, but I saw him do King Charles III last year, and he was excellent. Also, a few months ago, caught him doing a small part in a 70s British miniseries The Glittering Prizes -- so his career was very long. A salute.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Tim Pigott-Smith

Post by Reza »

Actor Tim Pigott-Smith dies aged 70

Best known for The Jewel in the Crown, he was awarded an OBE last month and due to star in Death of a Salesman

His career spanned over four decades on stage and screen. He was awarded an OBE for services to drama last month.

His agent, John Grant, said: “It is with deep regret that I have to announce the sad news that Tim Pigott-Smith died this morning. Tim was one of the great actors of his generation.

“Much-loved and admired by his peers, he will be remembered by many as a gentleman and a true friend.

“He will be much missed. We ask that you respect the privacy of his wife, the actress Pamela Miles, his son Tom and the family.”

Pigott-Smith had filmed the forthcoming BBC2 drama King Charles III having successfully played the title role in the theatre production on Broadway and in the West End. The play and TV drama depict Charles as monarch after the Queen’s death as he refuses to sign a controversial bill into law. Pigott-Smith won rave reviews for his performance on both sides of the Atlantic. He was nominated for an Olivier and a Tony award.

Pigott-Smith’s memorable TV and film roles included Merrick, the racist police superintendent in the ITV miniseries The Jewel in the Crown, and parts in the movies The Remains of the Day and Martin Scorsese’s Gangs of New York, as well as more recent appearances in Bond film Quantum of Solace and Alice in Wonderland.

Pigott-Smith said the highlight of his career was The Jewel in the Crown, telling the Press Association in March: “That’s the one that changed my life, a long time ago now, 1984, just in terms of a life experience and a job experience, quite phenomenal. It really was an international event, it went everywhere.”

He was due to star as Willy Loman in a production of Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman, which was scheduled to open at Royal & Derngate in Northampton on 10 April, before an extensive nationwide tour.

His wife, Pamela Miles, was to play the character of Willy’s wife, Linda, in the production but was replaced on the bill after breaking a bone during rehearsals.

Born in Rugby, he trained at the Bristol Old Vic theatre school and took smaller roles until his big break in The Jewel in the Crown. His distinctive voice made him a popular narrator of documentary series and he lent his voice to Battlefield, a series which examined pivotal battles of the second world war and the 2007 series Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work.

He had completed production on several films, including 6 Days, a drama about the hostage situation at the Iranian embassy in London in 1980, which also stars Jamie Bell and Mark Strong, and Stephen Frears’ new film Victoria and Abdul, which also stars Olivia Williams, Michael Gambon and Judi Dench and is due for UK release in September.

Return to “The People”