R.I.P. Mary Tyler Moore

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Mary Tyler Moore

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:If Sissy Spacek had won the Oscar for Carrie/i] as she should have, MTM would very likely have been the winner four years later for her extraordinary 180-degree turn as Donald Sutherland's heartless wife and Timothy Hutton's despicable mother.

I'm glad Faye Dunaway won. Who knew that soon after her film career trajectory would take a sharp downward trend.

MTM deservedly won many Emmys in the medium she was a star in. An Oscar wouldn't have helped her......not that it did Dunaway but ar least she was a bonafide movie star.

Helped her do what? She should've won for the performance not because it would've gotten her more film roles or whatever. Aside from that film in which she was channeling her father, she wasn't a very good film actress.

Anyway, Dunaway should have won for Mommie Dearest.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:If Sissy Spacek had won the Oscar for Carrie/i] as she should have, MTM would very likely have been the winner four years later for her extraordinary 180-degree turn as Donald Sutherland's heartless wife and Timothy Hutton's despicable mother.

I'm glad Faye Dunaway won. Who knew that soon after her film career trajectory would take a sharp downward trend.

MTM deservedly won many Emmys in the medium she was a star in. An Oscar wouldn't have helped her......not that it did Dunaway but ar least she was a bonafide movie star.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Can't say I liked her as much in her dramatic roles, including her much-touted Ordinary People performance, which seemed to me cold in a predictable way. I've often found that when comic actresses play drama, their technique amounts to draining away everything that makes me enjoy watching them and thinking the blandness that remains is some sort of higher truth. Carol Burnett and Whoopi Goldberg are two others who make me feel this way.
I'm with you on Carol Burnett. With the exception of the TV movie, Friendly Fire, all her dramatic performances seem to me to be parodies in the same mode as those she did on her show. I can't say the same about Whoopi, who can be a fine dramatic actress in the right role.

Moore made a few TV movies where she was fine in a dramatic role, but her dramatic roles in feature films aside from Ordinary People were disappointing. Not so her cold, cold mother in that film, though, still one of the most chilling performances in a non-horror movie.

If Sissy Spacek had won the Oscar for Carrie/i] as she should have, MTM would very likely have been the winner four years later for her extraordinary 180-degree turn as Donald Sutherland's heartless wife and Timothy Hutton's despicable mother.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

CBS will have an hour-long prime-time TV special on MTM tonight at 9 P.M.

If you've never been to Minneapolis, you've probably never seen the MTM statue which you can get a glimpse of here:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watch/us ... vi-AAmfu8A
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I'm a bit younger, Tee, so wasn't yet too cool for tv during the entire run of the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I watched it religiously (what a Saturday night lineup on CBS: All in the Family, The Jeffersons, MTM, the Bob Newhart Show, and the Carol Burnett Show). It was the single most important show of my youth. When it ended I felt as though I'd lost a friend, and Mary's character was at the heart of it. She never did anything particularly impressive after that, but between the Dick Van Dyke Show and her own show, she is in my mind in the very upper echelon of all-time tv performers.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Loved her from The Dick van Dyke Show -- she was the first sitcom wife who seemed sexy, and she was funny in a new kind of knowing way (maybe a little came from Nora Charles). Wasn't as great a fan of the MTM Show, probably because it was during my "I'm too smart for TV" years, but clearly she was still an adept comedienne, and the character was a breakthrough.

Can't say I liked her as much in her dramatic roles, including her much-touted Ordinary People performance, which seemed to me cold in a predictable way. I've often found that when comic actresses play drama, their technique amounts to draining away everything that makes me enjoy watching them and thinking the blandness that remains is some sort of higher truth. Carol Burnett and Whoopi Goldberg are two others who make me feel this way.

A friend of mine who's a DA said she was once a minor witness in a case he worked, and the day she came to the office, everyone made a point of being there, and she couldn't have been nicer to them.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Had Sissy Spacek not been in Coal Miners Daughter in 1980, we'd be referring to Mary as "former Oscar winner" !
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The "Chuckles Bites The Dust" episode of the Mary Tyler Moore Show is one of my all-time favorite sit-com episodes.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Mary Tyler Moore

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “The People”