R.I.P. Dina Merrill

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Dina Merrill

Post by Big Magilla »

I remember her best on screen in Desk Set and The Courtship of Eddie's Father and in the 1983 Broadway revival of Rodgers & Hart's On Your Toes in which she sang a lovely version of "The Heart Is Quicker Than the Eye".
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Presumably many people are in line with Precious Doll -- only having a vague sense of who Dina Merrill is -- but, back in my younger days, she was quite prominent: appearing in popular movies like Operation Petticoat and Butterfield 8, and, as far as I recall, being a fairly frequent game show celebrity contestant. She also had a well-known marriage to Cliff Robertson.

In those days, she was a Republican -- as you'd expect from the daughter of E.F. Hutton -- but I believe a Republican of the Eisenhower ilk, as she was associated with a number of socially liberal causes over the decades.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:I always thought she was undervalued and underutilized, but the she had all those social commitments that kept her busy.
For some bizarre reason I've always confuses Dina Merrill with Nina van Pallandt. Probably because they both appeared in Robert Altman's A Wedding which was a couple of years after I became obsessed with cinema.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I always thought she was undervalued and underutilized, but the she had all those social commitments that kept her busy.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Dina Merrill

Post by Precious Doll »

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”