Thoughts on Anthony Hopkins?

Damien
Laureate

Re: Thoughts on Anthony Hopkins?

Post by Damien »

OscarGuy wrote:Bah. I think Albert Finney in Murder on the Orient Express was terrific. There has never been a better Poirot, IMO.
I was thinking specifically of Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, although somehow the miraculous Ethan Hawke managed to come through with a great performance in the worst movie of 2007.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Bah. I think Albert Finney in Murder on the Orient Express was terrific. There has never been a better Poirot, IMO.

As for Hopkins. I think what happened was that after his awards success with Silence of the Lambs and Remains of the Day and his other early-to-mid '90s work, he became popular like he had never really been before. This led him to take on a number of paycheck roles, which enabled him to get lazy in the acting department. He was always passable in these roles and probably better than the films deserved, but he had let himself slip. So, I think the money got to him and he just stopped caring about the art.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I think the only time I ever liked Anthony Hopkins was in Nixon. Magic is a complete bore (which is not unexpected, given that it was directed by Richard Attenborough).

Albert Finney, on the other hand, is a very great actor -- arguably the best of his generation (except when Sidney Lumet got ahold of him).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
MovieFan
Graduate

Post by MovieFan »

I heard some good things about Magic, I was always a little underwhelmed with his Emmy award winning performances too
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Is Antony Hopkins the busiest actor now working? It certainly seems so.

In checking his filmography on the IMDb., I see he's credited with 118 film and TV film roles, which is a bit more than I would thought. Personally, I've found his to be inconsistent throughout his career. I liked him in The Lion in winter (1968); Magic (1978), The Bounty (1984) 84 Charing Cross Road (1987), and some of his TV work, but had pretty much given up on him as a major film actor until Silence of the Lambs (1991), which was followed nicely by Howards End, The Remains of the Day and Shadowlands along with a lot of junk in-between. I didn't like him in Nixon (1995) and I really didn't see what all the fuss was about his John Quincey Adams in Amistad. Since then his films have only been only sporadically interesting to me.
MovieFan
Graduate

Thoughts on Anthony Hopkins?

Post by MovieFan »

There seems to be some mixed opinions on him as of late, but I do somewhat agree with those opinions, but I just wanted to catch your guys thoughts on his acting ability? I do find him widly inconsistent particularly as of late where he pretty much scenery chews through his roles, but his run in the 90s was commendable. I do admit I dont find his Silence performance as great as most people do but he did do extraordinary work in The Remains of the Day, Howards End, Shadowlands, and he was the one of the best things about Amistad. In regards to other actors I much prefer Albert Finney instead, who I think is much more consistent and versatile
Last edited by MovieFan on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”