[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:Don't worry Magilla, I'll do the work for you. I rescue The Gay Divorcee and bump off The White Parade. Maybe it is because it was the first Astaire/Rogers film I saw, but it remains one of my favorite films and a delightful film. If the Supporting categories were around and Erik Rhodes didn't win for his phenomenal comedic performance, it would go down as one of the worst Oscar blunders of all time.

Now, Magilla, since I've used my rescue I expect you to save yours for the first idiot who bumps off anything Thin Man :D

Sabin, you are up.
Thanks, I was going to rescue The Thin Man on my next go around.

I had intended to bump Grace Moore for Myrna Loy in The Thin Man on my first turn, but BJ beat me to the punch with Bette Davis. I'm still considering whether or not I want to bump Norma Shearer for Loy.

The Gay Divorcee is my favorite Astaire/Rogers movie as well and I, too, love Erik Rhodes in it.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm putting the individual whose turn it is in the title of the game...I don't know if this will help people know when it's their turn or not, but we'll see how it works.

Also, please note that this information may not be up to date as I don't always have a chance to check the page for updates. So, if your turn is coming up, please check in here periodically for the update.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Don't worry Magilla, I'll do the work for you. I rescue The Gay Divorcee and bump off The White Parade. Maybe it is because it was the first Astaire/Rogers film I saw, but it remains one of my favorite films and a delightful film. If the Supporting categories were around and Erik Rhodes didn't win for his phenomenal comedic performance, it would go down as one of the worst Oscar blunders of all time.

Now, Magilla, since I've used my rescue I expect you to save yours for the first idiot who bumps off anything Thin Man :D

Sabin, you are up.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

FilmFan, it's your turn.

And, Magilla, there's nothing stopping you from later Rescuing The Gay Divorcee. That's why we have the one-time-per-year Rescue option.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

--Big Magilla wrote:I don't know what gave me the bigger shock this morning, the 300% increase in my medical prescription charges or seeing teh great Gay Divorcee replaced by The Scarlet Emress while such non-entities as Here Comes the Navy and The White Parde remain untouched.

I'm not eliminating anything I haven't seen. (Unless it's a movie made by a director I hate, or an actor who I usually hate.) Of the ones I'd seen, it was close between that and Cleopatra, which I think are both fine, but films I didn't mind bumping either in favor of The Scarlet Empress.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1255569069
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Te resutls page looks fine.

I don't know what gave me the bigger shock this morning, the 300% increase in my medical prescription charges or seeing teh great Gay Divorcee replaced by The Scarlet Emress while such non-entities as Here Comes the Navy and The White Parde remain untouched.

I replace Frank Morgan with Robert Donat in The Count of Monte Cristo.

FilmFan720, you're up.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1206459279
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's your turn Magilla.

And here's a question for everyone. How does the Results page look?

Edited By OscarGuy on 1206455513
Wesley Lovell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I replace Grace Moore with Bette Davis in Of Human Bondage.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Okay.

I replace The Gay Divorcee in Best Picture with The Scarlet Empress.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Paging dws.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, since somehow the random roll brought me up first, I'll kick things off by Preserving It Happened One Night as a Best Picture nominee.

dws, you're up next.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

Post by OscarGuy »

We will take one year at a time.

In the order determined at the beginning of each year, each participant will take one nominee and perform one of the following actions:

1. Replace - Take the nominee and put a non-original nominee in its place.
2. Preserve - Take an original nominee and keep it in its place
3. Rescue - Take an eliminated original nominee and replace another original nominee with it (this may be done only once per person per year)

When an original nominee is Replaced, it may not be named as a replacement. It may only be "Rescued".

Once this is done, the next person on the list will do the same and we will proceed round-robin until all of the nominees in a year have been replaced, at which time a new, random year will be selected.

You can find a full list of the nominees in the most recent post of the following thread:

Results

Turn Order:

Turn Order

Rules Update
1) Each player will make Three Replace/Preserve/Rescue changes each turn. No more than one change can be made per category per turn.
2) In categories with fewer than Five nominations (excluding Makeup, Visual Effects and Sound Effects), a player may take an Add action by adding a nominee to the list. You can use your Replace action to make an Add or you can Add a non-original nominee. (For 1934 only, you can Rescue a previously-eliminated original nominee without losing your once-per-year Rescue action per the mid-year rules change).

Edited By OscarGuy on 1206793091
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Other Film Discussions”