Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Elegy (Isabel Coixet, 2008) 5/10

Terribly slow film.....although Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz are good.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

mlrg wrote:The Wings of the Dove (1997) - Iain Softley

6/10

Allison Elliot was robbed of a nomination for this. Eduardo Serra's cinematography is stunning and was clearly robbed of an oscar win (as was his nomination for Girl with the Pearl Earing)
The costumes were, I thought, the true knockouts. Nothing wrong with Titanic's, but Dove's were the most exquisite I saw that year.

As for Jane Fonda, no American actress approached her ability in the late 60s/70s -- The Shoot Horses, Klute, Julia, China Syndrome were major achievements.

I never liked her as much in Coming Home, and I thought that performance started her on a downward, "I must retell the story of my radicalization in every role" spiral. I actually think The Morning After is far and away her best film work post 1980 -- unfortunately contained inside a silly trifle.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Vantage Point (Pete Travis, 2008) 7/10

Mindless fun. Dennis Quaid is very good.

Edited By Reza on 1243756680
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Education of Charlie Banks (2007) Fred Durst 4/10

Me Two (2008) Nicolas Charlet & Bruno Lavaine 2/10

Operation Mad Bull (1957) Richard Quine 5/10

The Buccaneer (1938) Cecil B. DeMille 4/10

The Cheat (1931) George Abbott 4/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Whole Movie: Up (dir. Pete Docter) - 8/10

Prologue: Up (dir. Pete Docter) - 11/10

At the center of a pretty solid if rushed Miyazaki film is an emotionally devastating relationship between a man and his wife and the life unlived. At the beginning of the movie is the most heartbreaking short film I've ever seen.
"How's the despair?"
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

mlrg wrote:The Morning After (1986) - Sidney Lumet

5/10

Interesting mid 80's thriller (as interesting as a mid 80's film can be....). Jane Fonda was not as bad as I was expecting.
She used to be a good actress.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

The Wings of the Dove (1997) - Iain Softley

6/10

Allison Elliot was robbed of a nomination for this. Eduardo Serra's cinematography is stunning and was clearly robbed of an oscar win (as was his nomination for Girl with the Pearl Earing)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Scarlet Empress (1934; Josef von Sternberg) 10/10

WOW! Direction, acting, cinematography, editing, costumes, sets--simply breathtaking and astonishing from start to finish!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

The Morning After (1986) - Sidney Lumet

5/10

Interesting mid 80's thriller (as interesting as a mid 80's film can be....). Jane Fonda was not as bad as I was expecting.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Practically Yours (1945) Mitchell Leisen 4/10

Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired (2008) Marina Zenovich 8/10

State of Play (2009) Kevin Macdonald 4/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Jane Eyre (1944; Robert Stevenson) 8/10

Atmospheric adaptation of Charlotte Brontë's classic novel, with Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles going all gothic with aplomb. Script strips the story to its basic core (and jettisons the book's major weakness, a third act development that would've dragged the film); gorgeous black & white cinematography.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Beau Travail - work of art

Beyond letter grade or stars given, Beau Travail is simply a work of art, and the most aptly named film I've ever seen. "Good work." "Good work, man." "Sir, this is what we expect of you." All in this title. Beau Travail is freedom through oppression, art through work, and through cinematic ellipses, Denis strips down filmic narrative to the same regiment in which these men train. It's basically a work of art, not for everyone, emotionally distant, physically immediate.

Edited By Sabin on 1243452840
"How's the despair?"
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Fugitive Pieces

7/10

Too slow sometimes, but it has its great moments...
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Friday Night - 8/10
Life is gorgeously major miniature. Who is Jean? We are always left wondering as does Laure. Her mind restlessly de- and reconstructs this man she has picked up. Is he by nature seducer or lonely? The prospect of merely either one is too much for her. This is a rapturously shot film, among the most gorgeous I've seen, and to date the only Claire Denis film I've seen.

As Before Sunrise sadly yet admirably ages into an increasingly adolescent, androcentric fantasy (or gloriously into Before Sunset), my thirst for liberating cinematic rendez-vous remains unquelled. If Friday Night occasionally languishes, it does so fetishistically, playfully, and humanistically.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Wild Boys of the Road (1933) William Wellman 9/10

I've wanted to see this for years and I wasn't disappointed.

Murder at the Vanities (1934) Mitchell Leisen 6/10

The Art of Being Straight (2008) Jesse Rosen 4/10

Acolytes (2009) Jon Hewitt 1/10

Return to “Other Film Discussions”