Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

--Big Magilla wrote:
--Precious Doll wrote:
--Big Magilla wrote:
Where did you find this?

I was under the impression this film hadn't been shown anywhere since its initial theatrical run in 1971.

I bought is from DaaVeeDee. It's a Spainish disc. Full screen print in pretty good condition with removable Spainish subtitles.

Wow. I just checked Daa Vee Dee. They just added this title on 4/16. Your international mail service is quicker than my domestic service.

I ordered it 3 weeks ago. I think they sold out and got more in stock. I check their site every couple of days.

I have the latest Grennaway and the Norwegian film Junk Mail on their way presently.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577373
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

--Sabin wrote:If you don't mind me asking, Precious. What did you like so much about In Search of a Midnight Kiss?

A number of things appealed to me about the film.

Firstly it's freshness. It was beautifully shot and directed with great use of the locations including the L.A. subway and downtown L.A., and I never had any idea where the film was going to next. It's so different to so much American indie work being churned out these days. It was so effortless without all the emoting and brooding that has become commonplace in cinema.

Scoot McNairy & Sara Simmonds were very impressive the the lead roles. I found both of them (particularly Simmonds) initially unappealing to begin with but as the narrative moved on I found myself warming to them as I got to know them better. Much in the same way that they warm to each other.

I look forward to future work from Alex Holdridge.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577493
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--Precious Doll wrote:
--Big Magilla wrote:
--Precious Doll wrote:Drive, He Said (1971) Jack Nicholson 7/10

Where did you find this?

I was under the impression this film hadn't been shown anywhere since its initial theatrical run in 1971.

I bought is from DaaVeeDee. It's a Spainish disc. Full screen print in pretty good condition with removable Spainish subtitles.

Wow. I just checked Daa Vee Dee. They just added this title on 4/16. Your international mail service is quicker than my domestic service.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577533
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

If you don't mind me asking, Precious. What did you like so much about In Search of a Midnight Kiss?

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577502
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

--Big Magilla wrote:
--Precious Doll wrote:Drive, He Said (1971) Jack Nicholson 7/10

Where did you find this?

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577521
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:Drive, He Said (1971) Jack Nicholson 7/10
Where did you find this?

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Linha de Passe (2008) Walter Salles & Daniela Thomas 7/10

Dusty and Sweets McGee (1971) Floyd Mutrux 4/10

Drive, He Said (1971) Jack Nicholson 7/10

Promises in the Dark (1979) Jerome Hellman 10/10 (Repeat viewing)

Though 30 years old this film has not lost it's power and it's subject matter still relevant and topical. Marsha Mason gives the best performance of her career. Shame that in the same year she was nominated for the self indulgent Chapter Two and not this. Probably had more to do with the modest box office success of Chapter Two and the complete box office failure of Promises in the Dark.

Something I missed the first time I saw the film was just how very good Ned Beatty and particularly Susan Clark were in the film.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Tender Mercies (1983) - Bruce Beresford

9/10

Really really loved this film. Robert Duvall's underacting trully is masterfull. A very well deserved oscar.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sorry guys but I really didn't like it. I'm not that into highly depressing movies about doomsday.

Jane Alexander is not bad, I must admit.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I do not love Testament, but calling its strategy to focus on a few individuals affected by nuclear doomsday "despicable" is bizarre. You wanted to see entire cities' worth of faces melting off?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Testament is a great film, beautifully acted by Jane Alexander, Roxana Zal and Lukas Haas. Littman's documentary style suits it perfectly.

I don't recall the dedication but Littman's "family" at the time was her husband Taylor Hackford who is now married to Helen Mirren so make of it what you will.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I loved it.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Testament (1983) - Lynne Litman

1/10

Dreadfull film about nuclear disaster that is a pain to sit trough. How can a director dedicate a film like this to her familiy is something that I consider dispecable.

Please avoid this at all cost if you haven't seen it.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Singles (dir. Cameron Crowe) - 6/10

Saw this movie for the first time in ages. I like Campbell Scott. I like Kyra Sedgwick. I do not care if they get together. I don't know what it is. They fit their archetypes of corporate twentysomethings quite well but there is a total absence of chemistry. And they certainly don't come across as meant to be. Trade Sedgwick in for Fonda and maybe you've got something. She and Dillon are quite good in by far the best portion of the film. I completely forgot about the C-storyline for damn good reason. I like the parts of this film but it feels like the kind of script that Crowe wrote before Say Anything... but just held on to. From what I've now read, that seems like an accurate assessment of what happened.

I think Say Anything... is probably Crowe's best movie. It's very sweet and lived in, in some ways more so than Almost Famous. It allows itself to stand one foot in teen genre and the other in the real world with Court's home drama. It subverts more than a few expectations with its trajectory and is quite well acted and very sweet. Almost Famous isn't far behind.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Film Discussions”