Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's Complicated (Meyers) - 4/10

Middle-aged women are uncomplicated monsters. I will say that between this and Something's Gotta Give, there is one great movie = beach house(Diane Keaton + Alec Baldwin/divorce)/nudity
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

dreaMaker wrote:An Education (2009, Lone Scherfig)

5.75/10

It's a good movie. But absolutely and totally overrated.
Does it deserve any award? No.
Does Alfred Moline deserve an Oscar nomination? No. For what?
Does Carey Mulligan deserves an Oscar nomination? NO, NO, NO and NO! She's good, but there are a thousand of roles better than this one (in this year). I can't believe people are arguing about Sandra Bullock being a bad pick, while we have Mulligan in the bag here... Save me.
Does it deserve the best picture nomination? Certainly not.
Next.
Don't expect a Christmas card from me this year. :p
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Private Worlds (Gregory La Cava, 1935) 7/10

Surprisingly an excellent film set amongst doctors at a mental institution. Great cast in Claudette Colbert, Charles Boyer, Joel McCrea, Joan Bennett, Helen Vinson and Esther Dale. Colbert deserved her best actress Oscar nomination.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Precious Doll wrote:Nine (2009) Rob Marshall 1/10

Ponderous, pretentious, derivative, muddled, and just plain bad sums up this mess. The only compliment I can give is that the singing is better then that in Mamma Mia.
A medley of American Idol wannabe's or a sketch in SNL can be a better singing exercise than that in Mamma Mia!, a film that is somehow a guilty pleasure for me but with probably the worst choices ever in voice casting, specially in the form of Brosnan, who shouldn't be allowed to be close of a mic ever again!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Nine (2009) Rob Marshall 1/10

Ponderous, pretentious, derivative, muddled, and just plain bad sums up this mess. The only compliment I can give is that the singing is better then that in Mamma Mia.

Invictus (2009) Clint Eastwood 6/10

It's a shame that this was weighed down by the tedious rugby match scenes because it is one of the better films made about South Africa in recent times. Morgan Freeman is sublime.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

dreaMaker wrote:An Education (2009, Lone Scherfig)

5.75/10

Does Carey Mulligan deserves an Oscar nomination? NO, NO, NO and NO! She's good, but there are a thousand of roles better than this one (in this year). I can't believe people are arguing about Sandra Bullock being a bad pick, while we have Mulligan in the bag here... Save me.
Next.
Please name the roles that are better. Because we keep hearing that this year is bad for ladies, so I'm curious to hear a perspective especially considering that Jenny is one of the few full-bodied roles this year.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

An Education (2009, Lone Scherfig)

5.75/10

Next.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Management (Stephen Belber, 2008)

3.5/10

Awfully boring and a total miscast. I really don't get what's the deal with ugly guys who Aniston falls in love with. A lack of chemistry is overwhelming. Sometimes it works, like in two excellent movies (The Break-Up and Marley&Me), but, in the other cases, please, give me a break.
She desperately needs a hunk and a drama!
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Rachel Getting Married (2008): Better than expected. One of those films I end up wondering why did I expected so long to see. Demme was good a s a director but some times I felt he was trying too hard to get that "indie-effect" on the film. Hathaway deserved her nod, no questions about it. I kinda feel sad right now her performance gained momentum way too early just to loose it by the end of the season. Had it been released later would had she been the eventual winner? Right now I like more her performance than Winslet's (for the winner role, still think Winslet was the Best Actress that year but for RR). A nod for Rosemary DeWitt should have occurred... and Winger was great too, a nice comeback but her role was (I think elegantly and smartly) underdeveloped. 7,5/10

Slumdog Millionaire (2008): Second view... hadn't seen it since I watched it on big screen. Guess I liked it a bit more, specially cause back then my expectations were too high and I ended up with mixed feelings towards it. Still think the cinematography and the sound award are way too underserved and a proof that everything that gets overpraised ends up with a dubious place in history. 8,5/10

Ken Park (2002): Disturbing, yes... I was disturbed by some scenes but specially because I wasn't sure what the director was trying to do... Clark and Lachman, the directing team were conciously making a film to impress with underage sex and with highly unlike situation like the one involving the extremely christian father. At some points I even remembered Salo for that matter. Interesting acting by the some of the kids but it failed to deliver something to me... 6/10

Inglorious Basterds (2009): Great... finally a good film. The only way this years's Oscar night can get interesting is by shaking the expected scenario. No war between critics's The Hurt Locker nor mass friendly Avatar. They have the chance to award a proven autheur, a director that's going to be remembered by his very personal signature in the future. This film is very Tarantinesque, meaning that he hasn't compromised his view as a Director in order to get respected (remember some efforts by Scott and the now loved Scorsese?)but it's friendly enough to be considered a Best Picture. Goofy? yes... I actually kind of felt that something was wrong in the end... maybe a punchline in the end saying "it would have been great if everything happened this way" or something but to have a fable based on actual events and then lead it towards something that doesn't make any sense might hurt its chances. Nonetheless, it's a great film. And I do think that Pitt's not in his best. 8,5/10

Star Trek (2009): Man this was entertaining, a serious entertainment. I love films that I can "enjoy" and this was one of them. Sadly, we are on a year with ten nominees and this film has been already cited among the best of the years. To explain myself I must say that I love films to eat popconr, and I actually can agree with the academy when they pick up some summer films among their best of the year (ala Gladiator, Titanic, and so on). But in a regular year this would have NEVER been in the race for best picture and the fact that it actually is just proves that the 10 nominees are far from necessary. By its own merits is a great film I highly recommend and that I certainly would see again! 7,5/10

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1264353453
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

A Single Man (2009) Tom Ford- 7.5/10

In a world with all films equal and Jeff Bridges having already won a couple Oscars like he should have, Colin Firth and Tilda Swinton would be walking with leading Oscars for 2009.

Avatar (2009) James Cameron- 5/10

Blah
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (Paul Schrader) - 8.5/10
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A Single Man (Ford) - 6/10

/Up in the Air/ (Reitman) - 7.5/10
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Pi (Darren Aronofsky) - 8/10

I love mindfucks (as to opposed to mindcuddles) like this. More so when it's done in the 90's underground vein. Max, an isolated genius of sorts, spends his days trying to find a pattern in the stock market. He pops pills in an ever increasing dosage and plays Go with his equally insane mentor. His higher knowledge has him, at first, ignoring faith and then later, thinking he is vessel for God. The name that can not be pronounced is as maddening as Pi is beyond comprehension. He looks for patterns in everything but all it does is create an obsessive-compulsive nutjob who ends up a pattern himself. Becoming delusional and paranoid, he believes everyone wants a piece of him. The world is out to get his genius. They want to understand the universe. Or do they?

Perhaps knowledge, like everything, is best in moderation.

The quick-cut, face paced editing was great for the paranoia.

Edited By Zahveed on 1264007276
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Up in the Air (Jason Reitman) - 8/10

A Fistful of Dollars (Sergio Leone) - 6/10

For a Few Dollars More (Sergio Leone) - 9/10

Leon: The Professional (Luc Besson) - 8/10

Edited By Zahveed on 1263943664
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Funeral Parade of Roses (1969) Toshio Matsumoto 8/10

One of a kind Japanese film with a transvestite theme.

Perestroika (2009) Slava Tsukerman 6/10

Russian director Tsukerman made highly original Liquid Sky back in 1983 and then disappeared from the cinema screen. He reemerged again 10 years ago and has directed a handful of films that remain widely unseen.

I have now had the opportunity to see his most recent work and whilst it lacks the impact and originality of his feature debut it is an interesting take on an ex-pat Russian return to his homeland after the fall of Soviet regime. Sam Robards sports a convincing Russian accent in a rare staring role. The film focus though is somewhat muddled but there's plenty of food for thought in it.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “Other Film Discussions”