Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Tomei's other two nominations were well deserved, this one not so much. It's not one of those awful wins like Mary Pickford in Coquette, Elizabeth Taylor in BUtterfield 8 or Jack Lemmon in Save the Tiger, it's just puzzling.

Cousin Vinny was a true ensemble piece with all the actors contributing deft performances. Was Tomei the best of the lot? Maybe, but Joe Pesci, Fred Gwynne and Lane Smith were quite funny, too.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:My Cousin Vinny (1991) Jonathan Lynn 7/10

It's still pretty damn funny, but I still can't figure out how Marisa Tomei was even nominated for an Oscar, let alone won.

She's heartwarming, hilarious and, at the 11th hour, steals the entire movie. Why is there so much resistance to her win now 17 years later? While any of the other four nominees would've been worthy (Redgrave, in particular, perfectly inhabits the character of Ruth Wilcox as Forster had written her, but Richardson's devastating performance and Davis' neurotic Allen female were also quite worthy), Tomei's win for a comedic performance is a rare example of Oscar looking outside of the box and getting it right. I'll always defend it.

At least she has two other nominations under her belt now to further drown out the naysayers.

Edited By flipp525 on 1257180707
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Ironically, it was your high rating and recommendation of the film that inspired me to see the film Damien. I was originally going to pass on it.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Precious Doll wrote:Flame and Citron (2008) Ole Christian Madsen 7/10

Glad to see you rate this so highly, Precious. It's one of my favorite movies of the year. (I even like it better than Army Of Shadows.)

Edited By Damien on 1257148344
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) Terry Gilliam 4/10

Woman of the Town (1943) George Archainbaud 4/10

Flame and Citron (2008) Ole Christian Madsen 7/10

Red Riding: 1974 (2009) Julian Jarrold 5/10
Red Riding: 1980 (2009) James Marsh 5/10
Red Riding: 1983 (2009) Anand Tucker 3/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:
anonymous wrote:What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (Robert Aldrich) 10/10

How much did Bette Davis enjoyed filming the scene wherein she's kicking Joan Crawford?
As much as Joan enjoyed having tied weights on her body for the scene where Bette has to carry her?

You hadn't seen the picture previously, Irvin?
Actually, it's my second time seeing it. I've seen it years ago and I bought the DVD recently. I just gotten around to revisiting it today. However, I didn't know about Davis/Crawford rivalry until after I saw the film for the first time. So seeing it again knowing all the stories added an unexpected layer of wicked humor.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

How much did Bette Davis enjoyed filming the scene wherein she's kicking Joan Crawford?
As much as Joan enjoyed having tied weights on her body for the scene where Bette has to carry her?

You hadn't seen the picture previously, Irvin?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

People have written books on this topic. LOL.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My Cousin Vinny (1992) Jonathan Lynn 7/10

It's still pretty damn funny, but I still can't figure out how Marisa Tomei was even nominated for an Oscar, let alone won.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1257856994
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (Robert Aldrich) 10/10

Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Thank you, that's just about what I wanted to hear (but not hear due to my high aniticipation)

Now I'll maybe check it out with reservations. The trailer that continually plays makes it seem like just some non-descript action crapfest. But I like Kelly and was very much looking forward to the Arcade Fire score.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Bog wrote:Precious, any more info on The Box?
I found the film somewhat plodding and a little too predictable. That some of the more outlandish revelations are a little vague with only scant explanation provided didn't help.

It's set in 1976, so it was something of a novelty to watch a new film without all the modern technology. It also has a very 'Twilight Zone' feel to it but its way to long.

I believe it was also filmed on digital and had a washed out dated look - undoubtedly by design. The production design and costume design were both understated.

Cameron Diaz was quiet good in what is the most developed character in the piece. The others aren't really given much to work with.

This is certainly nowhere near as good as Kelly's two previous films.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Precious, any more info on The Box?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Frankenstein (James Whale) - 10/10

My second time seeing it. It's my Halloween movie this year.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Box (2009) Richard Kelly 4/10

The Life Before Her Eyes (2007) Vadim Perelman 4/10

Affinity (2008) Tim Fywell 7/10

Sleep Furiously (2009) Gideon Koppel 8/10

Return to “Other Film Discussions”