Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Post by Mister Tee »

I watched Murder on the Orient Express tonight for the first time in almost exactly 47 years. A few thoughts and one question:

The thoughts:

Sidney Lumet was REALLY the wrong director for this -- a light/stylish touch was about the furthest thing from his repertoire -- but the story is engaging enough you get past that. (Well, Damien and probably dws couldn't, but most of us.)

All these years on, I still don't quite know what to think about Albert Finney's performance. He doesn't create anything resembling a living human, but he does have amusing moments.

I had no idea, back then, what possessed people to promote Bergman for an acting nomination, let alone the win. I strained to give her benefit of doubt, but I'm afraid nothing in the re-watch changed my mind. It's a short, hokey role, and the fact that the camera stays on her for ten minutes doesn't elevate it into anything memorable. Cortese was robbed.

The question: Why had this book (originally Murder in the Calais Coach) never been filmed before 1974? The book was a sensation -- it has one of Christie's three most memorably inventive plots (along with And Then There Were None and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd). Mysteries were always a popular Hollywood genre; And Then There Were None itself was made into a highly-regarded Hollywood film in the mid-40s. You'd have thought the potential for an all-star cast would have appealed to studios, especially since the book came out just a few years past the huge success of Grand Hotel. Why did it take all the way till 1974?

My stab at an answer: maybe they couldn't make it under the Production Code. The climax literally consists of Poirot letting a bunch of murderers go free. I understand, in the film's terms, the victim was all-too-deserving of his grisly fate, and no one questions that ending in Lumet's film. But the Code was pretty straightforward: anyone who does something wrong (and murder,however emotionally justified, qualifies); I don't see any way to square that with how this story ends, and I can't envision any screenwriting gymnastics that could satisfy the Hays Office and still send the audience home satisfied.

Of course, by 1974, Murder on the Orient Express was viewed as throwback, old-fashioned entertainment, an alternative to tougher-minded films like Chinatown, Lenny, and Godfather II. But in this particular way, it, too, was a product of its time: made in a way it couldn't have been in the 30s, when the book was crying out to be filmed.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Icarus (2017) - 8/10 - Bryan Fogel had looked up to Lance Armstrong, but in the wake of Armstrong confessing to using performance enhancing drugs, Fogel decided to see if doping would help him improve his own racing abilities. He eventually hooked up with Grigory Rodchenkov, a Russian doctor with firsthand knowledge of doping athletes, and the two form a bond. When the Russian doping scandal hits the news, the story expands to encompass it with Rodchenkov at the center.

Young Americans (1967) - 4/10 - This is a pretty odd film. It is supposed to be a documentary about the Young Americans choir, though it is obviously staged and not really a documentary. There are a lot of antics throughout and it is pretty corny. The film has not aged well at all. This movie also happens to be one that won the Academy Award for Best Documentary in 1969 only to have it revoked a few days later when it was discovered that it had been released in 1967 and wasn't eligible. This was a pretty bad year for documentary nominees. Other Voices is unavailable, except in archives. Journey into Self and A Few Notes on Our Food Problem weren't very interesting. Legendary Champions is the only one in the group that I liked and it is fairly average.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

War Dance (2007) - 8.5/10 - Members of the Acholi Tribe in Uganda live in government sponsored camps to protect them from rebel forces who might abduct or kill them. The National Music competition is coming up and the local elementary school has qualified so students are busy preparing for the event, which will feature performances in eight categories. The film focuses on three of the students - Nancy, Dominic, and Rose, each of whom has been personally affected by the war. The film is sad in some respects due to how the war has affected them and is still affecting them in the camps, but is happy in the joy that they get out of music and dance and the people around them.

The Square (2013) - 8/10 - This film documents a number of protests in Tahrir Square in Cairo from 2011-2013 which led to Hosni Mubarek stepping down, but didn't create any real change initially since most of the same people were still in charge. The protesters continued to return to the square, even with threats of violence from the military.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Domino (Brian De Palma, 2019) 3/10

A shockingly drab De Palma that could pass for any tv cop show. Danish cop
(Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) seeks vengeance when his partner (Søren Malling) is killed. The chase leads him and another cop (Carice van Houten), who divulges that she was his partner's lover, to Spain where they discover the fugitive has been kidnapped by a CIA agent (Guy Pearce) who plans on using him to get to a terrorist who likes to film suicide bombers as they blow themselves up. Muddled screenplay meanders along with a couple of weak action set pieces. Possibly De Palma's worst film. The two leads - both having appeared memorably on "Games of Thrones" - are very good.

Full of Life (Richard Quine, 1956) 6/10

Old fashioned but charming portrait of an Italian-American family. A writer (Richard Conte), his pregnant wife (Judy Holliday) and his very old-school parents - the nit-picky, tippling carpenter Dad (the Metropolitan Opera bass star Salvatore Baccaloni) and the easily excitable Mom (Esther Minciotti). The issues at hand - they request Dad to come back to the city and fix their termite-ridden kitchen floor while the old parents want their son to get married in Church before the baby arrives as they don't consider their marriage valid. Conte and especially Holliday are very good as the penniless writer and his loving wife - the pregnancy angle was new to Hollywood as it had finally been accepted as a subject to be shown on screen so a number of films went overboard in depicting women in various stages of pregnancy and the problems that came with that. Small film with a subject that would become a common staple in tv movies during the 1970s.

Fort Worth (Edwin L. Marin, 1951) 5/10

Former gunfighter (Randolph Scott) returns to Fort Worth, sets up shop in a newspaper office as a journalist, tussles with a former friend (David Brian) who through greed has delusions of grandeur and falls in love with the crooked man's fiancé (Phyllis Thaxter). Meanwhile all three and the town have to deal with a bunch of rogues led by evil cattle baron (Ray Teal). The story is set during attempts of setting up the railroad in Fort Worth. Slow film picks up towards the end when Scott is forced to start using his guns again.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Respect (2021) - 7/10 - Jennifer Hudson is good as Aretha Franklin and Skye Dakota Turner was also good as the young Aretha. There was certainly a lot of good music here, as expected, but I thought the movie itself wasn't really anything special. It was good, but not great.

Fortress (1985) - 7.5/10 - Four men in Halloween masks kidnap a teacher and her students in rural Australia. They put them all in a cave for safe keeping, but the teacher and students have other ideas. This is based in part on an actual kidnapping case from 1972. I loved this movie when it aired back in the 1980s, but hadn't watched it in over 30 years. It's pretty violent at times and holds up pretty well.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Sing (2016) - 8/10 - This was a rewatch in advance of going to see Sing 2 and it was still a lot of fun.

Sing 2 (2021) - 8/10 - While I don't think it was quite as good as the first movie, I still thought it was a lot of fun and enjoyed it.

On Any Sunday (1971) - 8/10 - This was a lot more fun than I was expecting. It's about motorcycle racing and has a fair amount of motocross, but also desert racing, hill climbing, drag racing, speed tests, and more. Steve McQueen makes a few appearances and competes in a couple of events, including the desert race.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Just Another Missing Kid (1981) - 8/10 - In 1978, 19 year old Eric Wilson was driving from Ottawa to Boulder, Colorado in order to attend a summer college course. He called home every night until he disappeared somewhere in Nebraska. His father and brother flew to Nebraska to look for him with no success and the police and FBI didn't seem very interested. A suspect turned up weeks later and the family hired a private detective to find out what happened because the authorities weren't pursuing the case. It's a sad indictment of the system that still rings true today.

The Gatekeepers (2012) - 8/10 - Six former heads of Shin Bet, the Israeli organization in charge of internal security, candidly discuss their organization, its methods, and its failures over the years, especially in regard to the Palestinians. It's very well put together and not exactly what I expected going in.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Don't look Up (Adam McKay, 2021) 4/10

The Sting-fart joke was the single best moment in the entire film - a political satire about the sky falling. It literally does as discovered by the "Chicken Little" of this film, a grad student (Jennifer Lawrence) who discovers that an asteroid is flying towards earth which in turn is confirmed by astronomy professor (Leonardo DiCaprio who is very good) although nobody believes them including the American President (Meryl Streep doing a Trump caricature) and her obnoxious Chief of Staff / son (Jonah Hill). So they leak the news to the world via two supercilious tv reporters (Tyler Perry & Cate Blanchett) which results in an attempt to send a gung ho pilot (Ron Perlman) on a rocket to destroy the moving time bomb. However, government greed takes over - a tech zillionaire (Mark Rylance) discovers rich minerals on the asteroid - so the mission is aborted. The large cast gamely flails about - Timothée Chalamet is a street punk who wafts poetic religiosity at a crucial moment, Ariana Grande is a pop star, Melanie Lynskey is sublime as DiCaprio's forgiving wife (he fucks Blanchett) and even Bollywood star Ishaan Khattar pops up - in this mostly uneven and sadly very unfunny comedy. Dr. Strangelove it ain't but it does brightly bring to light the supreme idiocy / idiocracy (take your pick) of the American powers that be. While that may be a good thing to laugh about and say "I told you so" the film is too devoid of anything relevant or anything remotely funny. But that fart joke about Sting was a zinger.

Dhamaka (Ram Madhvani, 2021) 6/10

Highly melodramatic remake of the 2013 South Korean thriller "The Terror Live". A once celebrated news anchor (Kartik Aryan), now demoted and recently divorced, is a bitter and jaded radio jockey. When he receives a call from a man threatening to blow up a bridge he uses the situation to try and wrangle his old position back from his ratings obsessed boss. He sets himself up live on tv and begins negotiating with the man who wants a public apology from the government for the death of three poor men who died during renovation of the bridge. Things get out of hand when the government refuses to negotiate and his own boss throws him to the wolves by exposing an unsavoury incident from his past because he refuses to toe the line over the live feed. His dilemma is linked to his ex-wife who is the journalist caught on the bridge which is about to go down. Aryan, who until now played in rom-coms, shows acting chops in a very serious role and manages to nail the part. Too bad he is surrounded by characters reeking of cliché and a situation that becomes more and more hard to believe as the plot goes on to the inevitable dhamaka.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Hôtel Terminus: The Life and Times of Klaus Barbie (1988) - 7.5/10 - Klaus Barbie was a brutal Nazi who evaded capture for nearly 40 years after WWII, working part of that time for the CIA, and later living in Bolivia. This film is very good and very thorough, but it is nearly 4.5 hours and I started losing interest around the 3 hour mark. I think that Ophüls could have edited it down just a bit more, though I suppose that I could have taken a break and come back to it later.

Flee (2021) - 8.5/10 - A mostly animated story about a man who fled Afghanistan with his family as a kid, ending up in Russia. Amin later arrived in Denmark as an unaccompanied minor and gained asylum, but kept his real story a secret from most people until finally confiding to a friend. I thought it was very good. The live action footage (mostly archival I'd guess) was mixed in well and served to better illustrate the story.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Being the Ricardos (Aaron Sorkin, 2021) 5/10

Hollywood star Lucille Ball's second pregnancy was famously and innovatively incorporated into the sitcom - "I Love Lucy" - on which she co-starred with her husband Desi Arnaz. That is just one of the plot points Sorkin uses in this film along with the more dramatic fare of Lucy accused of being a communist (it's the early 1950s when the Yanks were all up in arms about any and all connection to Mother Russia) and trouble in paradise with Lucy rightfully suspicious and angry at Desi for having affairs which the media constantly reports on. Sorkin incorporates all these different crises while the two stars have script readings, act out actual familiar episodes (Lucy stomping grapes which is shot in black and white) and interact with their squabbling co-stars William Frawley (J. K. Simmons) and Vivian Vance (Nina Arianda). From the get-go the frantic premise seems forced and certainly not helped by Nicole Kidman's dour monotone reading of Sorkin's rat-a-tat script. Of course she looks nothing like Lucy and neither does Javier Bardem as Desi but that's fine as it's supposed to be an approximation. The film scores big time firstly during the scene with Lucy being a very savvy businesswoman taking on a bunch of CBS executives when she pitches them the sitcom co-starring her Cuban husband. She is wary of her husband's over active libido. She barely gets to see him while she was under contract at RKO studio busy in film after film while he plays with his band at the nightclub Ciro. The two have different working hours and are kept apart by their schedules. So a sitcom together is her way of ensuring her marriage survives. The second great moment - and a rousing one - is when Desi proves to the studio audience and journalists on set that Lucy is commie free and as pure as American apple pie. The film's outstanding period design is superbly evoked throughout but Lucy's first appearance on screen in an incorrect hairstyle (wrong wig) is extremely jarring and throws the impersonation all off. That's how it is throughout - Kidman being very much Kidman instead of being Lucy.

Off the Rails (Jules Williamson, 2021) 5/10

Rather tired road movie with three close friends (Jenny Seagrove, Kelly Preston, Sally Phillips) who depart on a European rail trip through France, Italy, and Spain in memory of their college graduation trip three decades before. This is at the behest of their late friend's wishes whose mother - Dame Judi Dench in a cameo giving an awkward eulogy at the funeral - provides the women the tickets with an added provision that their late friend's teenage daughter (Elizabeth Dormer-Phillips) must accompany them. So off they go to the beat of the rock group Blondie. Seemingly the entire oeuvre of the band's songs are on the soundtrack which actually proves to be a good thing as the familiar tracks distract when the screenplay resorts to every damn buddy road movie cliché in the book. Petty jealousies get aired, secrets are revealed, maudlin back stories are brought to the front as the foursome drink, dance, hook up with men - Preston meets cute briefly with Franco Nero who is now very old but manages to still represent Italian hunkdom at its best - miss train connections, lose their passports but manage to reach a cathederal in Palma where they witness a light show through a stained-glass window which the ladies failed to see on their last trip and which was their late friend's wish for them to witness. Lovely location work and Blondie on the soundtrack are highlights. The film is dedicated to Preston who died soon after the film's shoot.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life (1998) - 7/10 - I read a few of Rand's books back in the 1980s and they didn't do much for me, but I thought this was a somewhat interesting biography and helped me understand her a bit more.

King: A Filmed Record… Montgomery to Memphis (1970) - 8/10 - A biography of Martin Luther King as told (mostly) through archival footage from the 1950s and 1960s. It's pretty well done.

Woodstock (1970) - 9/10 - The music is great and this serves as a very nice time capsule for that era.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) 8/10

Provacative, lurid and erotic drama is right up Verhoeven's alley as he explores sadism, masochism, perversion, repression, rebellion, and sex. Lots of sex in a 17th century Italian convent. A loose adaptation of Judith C. Brown's non-fiction book, "Immodest Acts: The Life of a Lesbian Nun in Renaissance Italy", covers the life of Benedetta Carlini (Virginie Efira) a nun in the abbey of a convent in plague ravaged Tuscany. She is brought to the convent as a child by her wealthy parents who pay a heavy dowry to the very business-like Mother Superior (Charlotte Rampling). Many years later they also bequeath a companion for their daughter - a young woman (Daphne Patakia) who is being raped daily by her father and brother and desperately seeks shelter. Benedetta's visions of Jesus, her stigmata - palms bleeding - and dreams of being raped and saved by Jesus are intercut with both women indulging in an affair. The Mother Superior is sceptical about Benedetta's visions and the public's proclamation of her being a saint but is secretly happy that it brings the convent good tidings in the form of money and gifts. When Benedetta becomes the new Mother Superior she brazenly indulges in sex (bordering on S&M - bondage, flagellation) with her female lover in the confines of larger quarters until the jig is exposed and she is brought to trial - the Catholic church’s only known lesbian trial at the hands of a hilariously sneering and oily Papal Nuncio (Lambert Wilson). Verhoeven keeps the nun's visions and her painful body attacks very real maintaining a strong sense of mystery where it seems she could well be telling the truth. At the same time the film is full of normal human bodily functions - from scenes of defecation to regular sexual urges which are dutifully obeyed via fingering, frottage and the use of a small wooden Virgin Mary statue which is inventively used as a dildo during the many sexually explicit moments which Verhoeven shoots with full abandon - its a wonder the oft-nude Efira did not come down with pneumonia in the stone-walled draughty convent. In addition the film exposes the hypocrisy and greed of the Church while mischievously indulging in kitchsy scenes where a pregnant peasant woman exposes her breast and squirts milk at Charlotte Rampling or hysterically gothic moments where Benedetta is taken on by another nun in a mad scene straight out of "Black Narcisuss". What Verhoeven bravely states here is that religion is an inherently lunatic and absurd thing. Which if you really think carefully is not too far away from the truth. The film is not overtly blasphemous like Ken Russell's "The Devils" but has more of a tongue-in-cheek quality to it making it an equally brave if amusing soft porn film.

Jeepers Creepers (Victor Salva, 2001) 7/10

The teenage siblings in this slasher horror film have to be the two most stupid people on earth. But then they have to be stupid....VERY stupid.. if the horror elements in this film need to work. A typical bickering brother (Justin Long) and sister (Gina Philips) decide to drive home through Florida black roads during Spring break. They are almost run over by a mysterious truck and a little later see the driver dumping two wrapped bodies down a shute next to a dilapidated church. The kids decide to investigate and discover a basement full of dead bodies. The truck driver, who turns out to be a ferocious winged creature, comes after them as they along with the police, a psychic and an old woman (Eileen Brennan) get ready for a deadly battle. Creepy film has all the appropriate jump scares along with gruesome acts of violence making this a superior entry in the genre.

Spider-Man: No Way Home (Jon Watts, 2021) 7/10

Convoluted return to the Spider's abode where the Man (Tom Holland) whose identity is revealed to the world calls on Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) to help cast a spell so the identity becomes a secret again. However, the spell goes awry and out pop a slew of past villains from different universes - Electro (Jamie Foxx), Green Goblin (Willem Dafoe), Doctor Octopus (Alfred Molina), Sandman (Thomas Haden Church) and Lizard (Rhys Ifans) - to create havoc for our hero, his plucky girlfriend (Zendaya), best buddy (a much thinned down Jacob Batalon) and the ole reliable aunt (Marisa Tomei). But wait a minute who are the two "helpers" who also arrive from different universes to help Peter Parker aka Spider-Man fight all the dastardly villains? Slam bang action is very annoyingly all shot at night making it difficult to see all the swinging between buildings - the Statue of Liberty becomes a major location on top of which a lot of the action takes place. The only member of the cast who fails to make much of an impression is Cumberbatch in an underwritten role where his annoyance and quips go way under the radar. A dark entry that nurses tragedy and despair in between bouts of fast paced action.

6 Underground (Michael Bay, 2019) 6/10

An American billionaire and philanthropist (Ryan Reynolds), disgusted by the cruel regime in Turgistan, fakes his own death and forms a vigilante group by hiring five others to join his cause. Each is given a numbered nickname - Two is a spy (Mélanie Laurent); Three, a hitman (Manuel Garcia-Rulfo); Four, a thief (Ben Hardy); Five, a doctor (Adria Arjona); and Six, a driver (Dave Franco). During their first mission in Florence - which is one long batshit crazy car chase sequence as they zoom in a dayglow green Alfa Romeo Giulia with the Mafia and the Italian police giving chase. When the driver is killed a former sniper (Corey Hawkins) suffering from survivor guilt is hired as Seven. The team goes after the vicious dictator and hope to replace him with his younger brother (Peyman Maadi). Since this is a Michael Bay film the action scenes are not only outrageous but gruesome as well with a no holds barred attitude in violence and non-stop catty banter between the cast. There is nothing new here as it regurgitate's moments from a number of the "Fast and Furious" franchise. Loud, obnoxious and repetitive yet still manages to be quite watchable. Abu Dhabi substitutes for the fictional Central Asian nation of Turgistan.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

The Fog of War (2003) - 7.5/10 - Robert McNamara looks back on his life and discusses his time in the service during WWII, his time at Ford, and his time as Secretary of Defense, among other topics. Eleven lessons from his experience are presented and supported by what he discusses and archival footage.

American Factory (2019) - 8/10 - A Chinese glass company opens a factory in a closed Ohio auto factory (see The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant from 2009). Everything seems great and optimistic at first, but it isn't long before the Chinese management starts getting frustrated with the expectations and work of their American employees and the American employees bridle at some of the demands that are put on them and the lack of concern for environmental and safety standards. It's a pretty good film about the clash of cultures, at least in part.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport (2000) - 7.5/10 - In 1938 and 1939, thousands of (mostly Jewish) children were rescued from Germany and allowed to go to England, thus allowing them to escape what was to come. Most lost their parents during the war. A number of the children selected for this program are interviewed here along with one of the women who took a child in.

I Am Not Your Negro (2016) - 8/10 - Samuel L. Jackson narrates this movie which uses James Baldwin's unfinished novel as its basis. It's a pretty strong film about being black in the U.S.

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) - 8.5/10 - Nicely done. Very nicely done. I enjoyed it about the same as the previous two installments.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

To me it’s not about the authenticity of the accents (I certainly don’t claim to be an expert either, though to my ear there was something about Wood’s accent that sounded off). It’s about Hollywood’s long history of privileging white actors by continually casting them in non-white roles. I’m sure it was thought to be a wise financial decision. Of course It had the effect, like in virtually all other institutions, of keeping white people in power and perpetuating the idea that white people can only relate to other white people.

I’m not one to think that each role has to be played by an actor who exactly matches the demographics of the character. Actors should be able to act. However, I am an advocate for leveling the playing field. Spielberg, whose movies have generally been white-centric, deserves some credit for moving in that direction.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”