Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Precious, I'm glad that you've started adding blurbs to go along with your number ratings of films.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988) Pedro Almodovar (Repeat viewing) 9/10

This film has lost none of it's charms since I was saw it 21 years ago. I was surprised just how much of it I remembered so clearly. Should be seen in conjunction with Broken Embraces.

It's Complicated (2009) Nancy Meyers 3/10

Labored with underwritten characters staring three actors who lack chemistry with each doesn't help this effort. The whole affair is very broad and overlong at about 2 hours in length.

Though she appears in almost every scene poor Meryl Streep has so little to work with that her performance in the first half of the film consists of running her hand through her hair and continually taking off her glasses. John Krasinski was the only amusing presence in the film.

I Meet Him in Paris (1937) Wesley Ruggles 4/10

Turgid script lacking any real whit at least the 3 leads have great chemistry. And it's short.

Avatar (2009) James Cameron 5/10

This film owes so much to everything that cinema has thrown up in the last 100 years. It's technically flawless and unlike most big budget film which contain action set pieces I could actually see and follow what was happening.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1261616172
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Third Man (Carol Reed) - 10/10

It's been a while since I've seen it last. It's even better than I remembered it. I find it quite amazing Orson Welles didn't even get a Best Supporting Actor nomination for this. Any interesting story behind that?
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

G. I. Joe

3/10

Poor writing, acting and directing... I was kinda surprised by how bad were the visual effects...
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

A Christmas Tale (Arnaud Desplechin, 2008) 8/10

I didn't understand the motivations of any of its members, but this family was sure compelling to hang out with for two and a half hours. This was a movie that kept me stimulated with lots of surprises, from the actors' choices (I loved how Emmanuelle Devos would laugh at every ugly thing that happened) to the truncated scenes to the crazily incongruous soundtrack. Much more entertaining than my family at Christmas.
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

Way too busy + overseas trip, thus watching less films. From November ...

Astro Boy (2009) - 5/10
Paranormal Activity - 4.5/10
My Sister's Keeper (2002 TV movie) - 6/10
Ashes of Time Redux - 8/10
2012 - 4.5/10
Jennifer's Body - 4/10
Yang Yang (Taiwan) - 6/10
No Puedo Vivir Sinti (Taiwan) - 8/10
Cow (China) - 7/10
Rebellion (HK) - 6/10
Storm Raiders (HK - world premiere in Singapore) - 2/10
Bodyguards and Assassins (HK) - 6.5/10
Mother (S. Korea, 2009) - 7/10
Mulan (China, 2009) - 5/10
Vengeance (Johnnie To, 2009) - 7/10
9 (2009, animation) - 6.5/10

Edited By inky on 1261393019
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Be Blue Baby (James Cameron) - 6.5/10

I'm not sure yet. Watching him play with depth of field in 3D never really got old for me. I've never seen that before and at its best it evoked a sensation of being a kid at the movies again which hasn't happened in a while. But it's really morally irresponsible in evoking the suffering of Native Americans without any emotional grounding. Let's get real nerds; this film doesn't really work like it should.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Downfall (Oliver Hirschbiegel) - 9/10
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Yesterday's Enemy (1959) Val Guest 7/10

Effective WW2 film set in Burma with a standout performance by Stanley Baker. Somewhat surprisingly touches on the subject of war crimes committed by the British. I should mention that it is a fictional story.

Karl May (1974) Hans-Jurgen Syberberg 4/10

Dreary 3 hour film on Karl May, German author of some famous German children stories set in the wild west, even though he had never been the U.S.

Lacks the invention Syberberg displayed in most of his other films.

Broken Embraces (2009) Pedro Almodovar 6/10

A minor Adlmodovar that oddly enough lacks the picturesque beauty of his later films. None of the characters are particularly well fleshed out and the film doesn't get into gear until the second half. Lovely homage to Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown though.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Red Cliff - 8/10
very impressive work by John Woo.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Hustler wrote:
Damien wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Power of the Press (1943) Lew Landers 2/10
Damn, what movie did I see recently (maybe just bits and pieces of it while my Beloved was channel surfing) where a character was named Lew Landers? Cracked me up.
Could be the Howling or Gremlins
It WAS The Howling, Hustler. Excellent recall. Thanks!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Seven points go to the amazing visuals, Sam Worthington, and Col Badass. The eighth point goes to Cameron's dedication and ingenuity. The story could have been much better considering the mythology and could have been much worse considering the dialogue. Surprisingly, the actors pull it off just enough for it to be your above average Sci-fi experience with a 3D boost and an excellent final battle.

I should deduct a point for that song at the end credits though...
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Damien wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Power of the Press (1943) Lew Landers 2/10
Damn, what movie did I see recently (maybe just bits and pieces of it while my Beloved was channel surfing) where a character was named Lew Landers? Cracked me up.
Could be the Howling or Gremlins
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Klute (Alan J Pakula, 1971) 5/10

A fairly standard thriller (not my favorite genre) that contains a terrific performance by Fonda. It has one of the most annoying soundtracks ever.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Avatar 10/10. Wow! What an experience!

Return to “Other Film Discussions”