Post by anonymous1980 »

The Bridge on the River Kwai (David Lean) - 8.5/10

Edited By anonymous on 1261926176
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

The Messenger (2009)

7/10

Superbly acted. Harrelson should win the oscar if Waltz wasn't in the race.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

District 9 (2009) Neill Blomkamp 9/10

Sin Nombre (2009) Cary Fukunaga 9/10

Sugar (2009) Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck 8/10

Dreamchild (1985) Gavin Millar 8/10

Reviews of these four films in this coming Tuesday's DVD report.

Up in the Air (2009) Jason Reitman 8/10

Lots of reservations about the plot (see details in the Up in the Air thread) but overall one of the year's most mature, intelligent films with three excellent lead performances.

Nine (2009) Rob Marshall 5/10

A real disappointment (see details in the Nine thread) though I would not be unhappy with supporting Oscar nominations for either Marion Cotillard or Penelope Cruz, both of whom do wonders with the little they're given.

The Killings at Badger's Drift (1997) Jeremy Silbertston 9/10
Written in Blood (1998) Jeremy Silbertson 9/10
Death of a Hollow Man (1998) Jeremy Silbertson 9/10
Death's Shadow (1999) Jeremy Silberstein 9/10

These were four of the first two hour films of the so far 72 of the still running British murder mystery series, Midsomer Murders, presented along with twelve more in the DVD package of Midsomer Murders - The Early Cases featuring John Nettles as the intrepid D.C.I. Barnaby and Daniel Casey as the not always quick on the uptake Sergeant Troy.

I am thrilled to have discovered these brilliant concoctions at long last. While I've always loved mysteries, I long ago became resigned to the fact that I could solve most of them long before the author explained it all. Not so, with these in which the twists keep coming but the clues turn out to have been in plain sight all along.

In the first, an old lady (Renee Asherson) sees something she shouldn't and is murdered for it. I was all over the place guessing who, what and why but never suspected the truth. Emily Mortimer, Jonathan Firth and Rosalie Crutchley are among the suspects.

In the second, a literary society meeting conceals several deadly secrets. I guessed some of the secrets, but not all and certainly not the killer. Anna Massey guest stars.

The third includes an on-stage murder in full view of the audience at a local theatre production of Amadeus. I could figure out the who, but not the why.

The fourth involves the beheading of the first victim, the burning alive of a second and an arrow shot in the back of a third. I could figure out the why, but not the who.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Spread 4/10 Ashton, go back to Demi´s!
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

7.5/10

Stunning visuals.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Exiles (1961) Kent MacKenzie 6/10

Documentary style drama with non professional native American indians basically playing themselves in fictional scenarios. It's set in downtown L.A. amongst a community native American struggling to fit into big city life. Not particularly potent when it comes to the dramatics of the piece it does present a fascinating study of a marginalized group of people in a now begone era.

Bright Star (2009) Jane Campion 4/10

One of the pleasures of most of Jane Campion's work, be it her short, television or feature films, is her wonderful offbeat and unique view of the world.

It's all missing though is this dull take on the final chapter of John Keat's life. I found the film beautiful to watch but emotionally barren and it isn't helped with the two romantic leads lacking the necessary spark to set the whole thing on fire.

Three Cornered Moon (1933) Elliott Nugent 5/10

Mildly amusing screwball comedy with Claudette Colbert who takes charge of her family when hard times befall them during the Great Depression. Richard Arlen makes a very appealing leading man opposite her.

The Boy with the Sun in His Eyes (2009) Todd Verow 1/10

Proof that independent filmmakers working with near to nothing budgets can make films as preposterously silly as the Hollywood studios can with hundreds of millions of dollars. This film starts off badly and gets worse as it goes along. Todd Verow has made some interesting low budget efforts over the years (Frisk, Vacationland, Anonymous) but his last few films have shown a sharp decline, notably in the screenplay department. Hopefully he can find his mojo again soon.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1261819982
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Invictus
6.5/10

Am not a fan of Eastwood but was truly expecting something good.
Don't see why Damon is getting any attenion for this. Other than Freeman I think that every other possible nomination is fading away.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Sherlock Holmes (Guy Ritchie, 2009)

7/10

Fun, stylish, well acted, great production design and sound.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Nine 7/10
Not as terrible as many have said it to be. Sure Mashall isn't the best director, and his story has many holes, but i was never bored. Daniel Day Lewis was excellent and Penelope Cruz was very good. But the performance of the film is certainly that of Marion Cotillard. If the Weinstein company had submitted her in supporting she would be a sure bet for a nomination.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1261712372
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Mr. Sardonious (1961) William Castle 4/10

Workman like effort that really doesn't go anywhere. The 'gimmick' Mr Castle uses in the film is pretty ridiculous.

Carny (1980) Robert Kaylor 9/10 (Repeat Viewing)

This is such an odd one-of-a-kind film and there is nothing quiet like it in the annuals of cinema. Kaylor manages to make carnival life look alluring, sexy and sinister all a once.

This was a going period (early 1980's) for film set at carnivals. Along with Carny, there is much to recommend in The Funhouse (Tobe Hooper) & Somehing Wicked This Way Comes (Jack Clayton).

Jodie Foster, Gary Busey & Robbie Robertson are all excellent and Foster has the scene of her career seducing a pair of lesbians at a side show game. Also has a great music score by Alex North.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1261694257
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Sting (George Roy Hill) - 8.5/10

Just fun. Can't say Redford is Oscar-worthy but he's really quite good in this film.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Freeman was a lock for playing Nelson Mandela ever since the idea floated in the blogosphere back in 2004.

I would be against a Haneke nomination, this year.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Invictus 7/10
Good film, but i can't see why Freeman is a lock for Best Actor. Damon might get a nod for just doing an accent? This does not deserve any nominations.

Precious 3,5/10
Then again compared to this, "Invictus" is a masterpiece. MoNique was very good, but all the awards she is getting it's too much. Sidibe is also good, while the Editing, Direting and Screenplay are plain awaful. Hell no.

A Prophet 7,5/10

The White Ribbon 8/10
A Best Director nomination for Haneke please.

In the Loop 7,5/10
Delighful. Peter Capaldi and the screenplay deserve nods

The Blind Side 4/10
Not my cup of tea.

Fish Tank 8/10
Top notch acting all around. Fassbender has a great career coming his way.

Damned United 6/10
Michael Sheen and Timothy Spall deliver the goods, but other than that not much (unless you are a soccer fan).
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Precious Doll wrote:Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988) Pedro Almodovar (Repeat viewing) 9/10
OMG, Precious just gave a ''9''! There will be snow in Sahara. :)

Return to “Other Film Discussions”