Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Sabin wrote:Gangs of New York
Le gasp
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Ed Gonzalez describes Frozen River as being from the Paul Haggis playbook. It's certainly a more restrained slice of Haggis but Melissa Leo's racism feels ripped out of Screenwriting 101 to develop her arc as well as some of the most egregious logic flaws of the year (re: the Paki "customers" and their bag). Mainly I find myself giving Frozen River points for not being as bad as it could be. It's not that bad but it's really not that good.

WORST NOMINATED SCREENPLAYS OF THE DECADE:
Atonement
Babel
Crash
Frozen River
Gangs of New York
The Hours
Little Children
Little Miss Sunshine
Monster's Ball
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
...and Every Nominated Adapted Screenplay This Year save for The Reader which I have not seen.

THE FOLLOWING MOVIES HAVE COMPETENT SCREENPLAYS I FIND MORE LAME AND/OR WHOLLY UNEXCEPTIONAL THAN PROBLEMATIC: A Beautiful Mind, Chocolat, Finding Neverland
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Frozen River is hideous. With a good performance by Melissa Leo.

But seriously, it's one of the least impressive original script nominees this decade.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Wrestler 5/10
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Sabin wrote:Frozen River (dir. Courtney Hunt) - 5/10
Only a 5? It will likely be in my top 5 for the year!
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Frozen River (dir. Courtney Hunt) - 5/10
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

California Dreamin' (2007) Crisgtian Nemescu 6/10

Dancing Mothers (1926) Herbert Brenon 4/10

Breakfast with Scot (2007) Laurie Lynd 4/10

88 Minutes (2008) Jon Avnet 1/10

Gran Torino (2008) Clint Eastwood 4/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Waltz with Bashir - 6.5/10

Subject to change. It's a powerful depiction of post-traumatic stress disorder Israeli soldier mentality and ultimately as an act of understanding of such. As a documentary, it's uneven.
"How's the despair?"
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick) 8.5/10

A truly harrowing and vivid anti-war movie, I have nothing new to add to the list of discussion about this one except it's a must-see if you can stomach it.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

The Terminator (James Cameron) 5/10

I regard its sequel as possibly the best action flick ever, and there is much to like about this gritty and low-budget original. However, there is an equal amount to dislike: Michael Biehn speaking Cameron's dialogue: horrid. The music is the same synth trash they used in any number of 80s action flicks, and the hair and costume? The less said the better. It seemed like Cameron really studied this first one in preparation for T2 and removed everything that dated this movie so hopelessly to make a timeless sequel.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Hustler wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
cam wrote:Cruz will walk off with the Oscar.

She won't. She peaked too early and now it's almost anyone else's (even Magilla's diehard prediction of Henson is still in the running). I'm sticking with Davis.

Davis is a strong chance.
I'm going with Henson.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

dws1982 wrote:The Duchess

Competently made, immaculately designed, with absolutely no reason at all for existing. Seriously, why? Keira Knightley tries to emote, and tries to convey the inner turmoil of someone trapped in a loveless marriage, but as Sonic once said, she comes off as Californian. As someone who keeps getting cast in these period dramas, she still seems too modern to feel authentic, and she seems about as convincing as a mother as I would as an NFL linebacker. Who the hell decided she was a movie star? Dominic Cooper is a good actor, but he has no real character to play, and doesn't exhibit any of the charisma or charm he showed in BBC's adaptation of Sense and Sensibility last year. And I'm sorry, but I'm pretty much over Ralph Fiennes. His whole brooding European routine, effective in some cases, is almost comical here (and, to a lesser extent, in The Reader), and the wrong way to play this character. Yes the costumes are good, and the sets are eye-catching. It has a nice romantic score, too. But it's all in service of something with the substance of a marshmallow.
I was just about to post about this, but I think you nailed it on the head Daniel. The costumes are gorgeous, and Rachel Portman puts out another wonderful score, but the film ultimately says little and has no point. I liked Knightley more than before, but I think it is more because the film suits her weaknesses a little better. She is supposed to feel out of place, and her performance brings out the idea of her being ahead of her time, but moments where she needs to push herself come off as strained. Another great Hayley Atwell performance, though.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

And the fact that the writer's branch rightfully ignored Woody's inept script indicates that there's not a lot of support for the film.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

flipp525 wrote:

She won't. She peaked too early and now it's almost anyone else's (even Magilla's diehard prediction of Henson is still in the running). I'm sticking with Davis.
Davis is a strong chance.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Other Film Discussions”