Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Waltz With Bashir (Ari Folman) 7/10
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Fortune Cookie - 5/10

Wow. This movie is long. So much good stuff stretched out over two-and-a-half hours. I'm a bit biased in the fact that the movie becomes something that I didn't really want to see from this particular film. The chief dynamic of interest is between shyster and sap and the film moves away from it a bit too much for my tastes. Matthau = awesome.

Edited By Sabin on 1233884270
"How's the despair?"
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Doubt (John Patrick Shanley) 7.5/10
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Nurse Betty (Neil LaBute) 6/10

I laughed out loud at several points, and even the Vortex of Suck didn't annoy me (as much). Aaron Eckhart was funny even without the hideous hairdo, and what else can I say about Alison Janney? A good cast, but the movie tried to be everything for everyone and was too schizo to be great. I'd still recommend it.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Trafic (Jacques Tati) 5/10

This was my first M. Hulot movie, and considering the hype, it was a letdown. It was very slow (even for such a short film), and the gags were spread too thin to make it thoroughly engaging. The tricked-out camper was deliciously absurd, but it took up a really long time (anyway, it dragged like nobody's business) and seemed to be their one good idea - let's let it go on forever!
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

That really is quite a bleak list.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Sabin wrote:WORST NOMINATED SCREENPLAYS OF THE DECADE:
Atonement
Babel
Crash
Frozen River
Gangs of New York
The Hours
Little Children
Little Miss Sunshine
Monster's Ball
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
The Reader
A Beautiful Mind, Chocolat, Finding Neverland
I realize these constitute less than one-fifth of the total nominated scripts this decade so far, but ... God, seeing all these titles together makes me think the writers' branch really didn't know what the hell they were doing in the 2000s.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Penelope wrote:Ivanhoe (1952; Richard Thorpe) 7/10

Both Taylors--Robert and Elizabeth--are pretty stiff

Isn't this the time period during which Robert Taylor and Michael Wilding supposedly had an affair??

Could be the reason behind all the stiffness between the two Taylors!

Edited By Reza on 1233815906
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Ivanhoe (1952; Richard Thorpe) 7/10

Colorful, entertaining, but much altered adaptation of Sir Walter Scott's classic novel of knights and fair ladies in the time of Richard the Lion Hearted. Both Taylors--Robert and Elizabeth--are pretty stiff and easily outacted by George Sanders and Joan Fontaine.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Seven Chances (1925) - 8/10
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Atonement and Little Children don't deserve to be on such a list with the likes of Blabble and Crash.

I have a lot of issues with the screenplay to Atonement. The second hour or so (everything that follows the early portion of the film) feels incredibly truncated and rushed. This is very problematic for me because by the end of the film, I don't feel the "twist" (I know this is a reductive term) has been given enough weight. It's very much of an epic movie cut down to more commercially palatable length. I like Atonement but the structuring of the film seems inappropriate.

It's a much better screenplay than Crash and Little Children.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

--Penelope wrote:Atonement and Little Children don't deserve to be on such a list with the likes of Blabble and Crash.

True, Little Children is much worse than Crash.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620722
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Diner 6,5/10

Local Hero 7/10

The World According to Garp 7/10

East Is East 7,5/10
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Atonement and Little Children don't deserve to be on such a list with the likes of Blabble and Crash.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

This reminds me that I have always been curious why so many big budget movies are made around bad scripts. Surely, most people in Hollywood aren't so daft that they would commit a lot of money to a film without reading the script first? Oh, nevermind.

Edited By Greg on 1233795699

Return to “Other Film Discussions”