Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:(I remember People having a story that year listing as many as 20 women who might have qualified in another year
Funny you should mention this article....I still have it lying somewhere around.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Penelope wrote:Wouldn't Stoltz be considered Lead in Mask?
Probably be some here, but he was nominated in support by the Globes, and I don't recall anyone protesting.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Wouldn't Stoltz be considered Lead in Mask?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

--flipp525 wrote:Mask (Peter Bogdanovich, 1985) 8/10

Maybe I was just in the mood for a good cry, but damn, I was waterworks practically start to finish. What a touching story and beautiful performances by the whole cast, particularly Cher, Eric Stoltz and Sam Elliott. Cher and Stoltz definitely give nomination-worthy performances. Egregiously overlooked that year for some reason.

Stolz being left out seemed the more shocking, because best actress was widely seen as crazy competitive (I remember People having a story that year listing as many as 20 women who might have qualified in another year), but supporting actor was lean, to put it mildly -- witness Eric Roberts for one of his worst performances, Robert Loggia for throwaway work, and ultimate winner Ameche, one of the sillier explosions of sentiment in Academy history.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620611
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

He's Just Not That Into You (2009; Ken Kwapis) 4/10

See the HJNTIY thread.

The Enemy Below (1957; Dick Powell) 7/10

Hadn't seen this one since I was a kid; though it has some occasional silly bits (my ex-Navy brother kept commenting "Hollywood!" during the unrealistic bits), it nevertheless remains a taut, gripping cat-and-mouse game between an American destroyer captained by Robert Mitchum and a German U-boat captained by Curt Jurgens.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Hellboy 2: 4.5/10

Better visual effects than make-up.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

The Wrestler (Darren Aronofsky, 2008) 3/10

A facile grotesquerie. Mickey Rourke's performance is compelling enough, but he shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath with Sean Penn. I suppose that means he'll win.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Woman on the Beach: 6.0/10
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The Time Machine (1960) - 7/10
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--flipp525 wrote:
--Reza wrote:

Maybe I was just in the mood for a good cry, but damn, I was waterworks practically start to finish. What a touching story and beautiful performances by the whole cast, particularly Cher, Eric Stoltz and Sam Elliott. Cher and Stoltz definitely give nomination-worthy performances. Egregiously overlooked that year for some reason.

Yes Cher was very good in this. I think she even won at Cannes.

Just looked that up and you're right. I would've definitely found a place in that year's lineup for her performance as well as Norma Aleandro's (The Official Story). Two of the best female performances that year.

Cher just missed getting into the top 5 on my list for that year. Here are my top 5:

Norma Aleandro, The Official Story
Jessica Lange, Sweet Dreams
Geraldine Page, The Trip to Bountiful
*Miranada Richardson, Dance With a Stranger
Meryl Streep, Plenty

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620637
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--Reza wrote:

Just looked that up and you're right. I would've definitely found a place in that year's lineup for her performance as well as Norma Aleandro's (The Official Story). Two of the best female performances that year.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620645
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620655
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mask (Peter Bogdanovich, 1985) 8/10

Edited By flipp525 on 1234112262
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

W (Oliver Stone, 2008) 6/10
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

In Bruges 6.5/10

It wasn't the full-out comedy I was expecting, there were some heavy-handed notions of existentialism thrown in. Took a while to get around their grizzled dialects to understand them. Both Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson were great, they had great material to work with, and Rafe was appropriately slimy and hilarious.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”