Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--flipp525 wrote:
--Reza wrote:Glenn Close was certainly on a roll then......she was everywhere....on tv, the big screen and Broadway....winning or getting nominated for Emmys, Tonys and Oscars.

Close really was hot back then, wasn't she? Didn't she get nominated in support three years in a row? It's hard to imagine the reasoning behind her not having an Oscar yet. Although, to be thorough, the years in which she was nominated were either led by a clear, almost indominable frontrunner (Linda Hunt, Peggy Ashcroft) or a consolation winner (Lange). Dangerous Liasions might've been her best shot.

I was just watching the latest episode of Damages last night and I think it's really some of her best work. The tightrope she has to walk playing Patty Hewes is rather remarkable. She manages to be both vulnerable and vicious, sometimes alternately in the blink of an an eye.

Yes I would have preferred Close winning over Jodie Foster in 1988. If I remember correctly it was a surprise win for Foster (Jacqueline Bisset, amongst others, was shown in closeup and looked quite surprised) even though amongst the precursors she won only the NBR award and the Golden Globe (in a whacky three way tie with Shirley MacLaine and Sigourney Weaver).

I agree Close is superb in Damages. I still have my hopes up high that someday she might win an Oscar in the lead category......is that pesky film version of Sunset Blvd ever going to see the light of day???

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577849
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--Big Magilla wrote:
--mlrg wrote:How Robert Loggia was nominated for this is a mistery. He just wonders around cursing everything.

Robert Loggia's nomination was recognition for his long career as one of Hollywood's most dependable character since the fifties (Somebody Up There Likes Me, The Garment Jungle).

Eighties audiences sat up and took notice of him as Richard Gere's father in An Officer and a Gentleman and two years later in support of Al Pacino in Scarface. He also had another major role in 1985 in Prizzi's Honor. He was considered due.

But what was that hilarious piece of dialogue he says to Close?

Was it ''Playing with yourself?"

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577859
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--mlrg wrote:How Robert Loggia was nominated for this is a mistery. He just wonders around cursing everything.

Robert Loggia's nomination was recognition for his long career as one of Hollywood's most dependable character actors in high profile roles since the fifties (Somebody Up There Likes Me, The Garment Jungle).

Eighties audiences sat up and took notice of him as Richard Gere's father in An Officer and a Gentleman and two years later in support of Al Pacino in Scarface. He also had another major role in 1985 in Prizzi's Honor. He was considered due.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619509
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--Reza wrote:Glenn Close was certainly on a roll then......she was everywhere....on tv, the big screen and Broadway....winning or getting nominated for Emmys, Tonys and Oscars.

Close really was hot back then, wasn't she? Didn't she get nominated in support three years in a row? It's hard to imagine the reasoning behind her not having an Oscar yet. Although, to be thorough, the years in which she was nominated were either led by a clear, almost indominable frontrunner (Linda Hunt, Peggy Ashcroft) or a consolation winner (Lange). Dangerous Liasions might've been her best shot.

I was just watching the latest episode of Damages last night and I think it's really some of her best work. The tightrope she has to walk playing Patty Hewes is rather remarkable. She manages to be both vulnerable and vicious, sometimes alternately in the blink of an eye.

Marcia Gay Harden has also really been exceptional this season as well as Claire Maddox. William Hurt, I've been less impressed with. I can't wait until we get to the finale.

I wouldn't call Jagged Edge "pure 80's trash". There are much worse films from that decade. It is a fun, not-that-great little thriller, but not a deplorable slag heap. I don't remember Robert Loggia in it, either, quite honestly. Did he have something to do with a typewriter at one point in the film? I certainly remember him in "The Sopranos" though...

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619517
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--mlrg wrote:Jagged Edge (1985) - Richard Marquand

2/10

Pure 1980's trash with a terrible direction and lousy acting apart from a dreadful screenplay by Joe Eszterhas. How Robert Loggia was nominated for this is a mistery. He just wonders around cursing everything. This might also contain John Barry's worst film score. A really terrible film.

Yes totally trashy but a guilty pleasure.

I recall something very funny that Loggia says to Close when he first meets her.....forget what it was though!! I think he was nominated for just that scene.

It was also nice to see on screen after a long time Ryan O' Neal's ex wife, Leigh Taylor-Young. Glenn Close was certainly on a roll then......she was everywhere....on tv, the big screen and Broadway....winning or getting nominated for Emmys, Tonys and Oscars.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619524
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Jagged Edge (1985) - Richard Marquand

2/10

Pure 1980's trash with a terrible direction and lousy acting apart from a dreadful screenplay by Joe Eszterhas. How Robert Loggia was nominated for this is a mistery. He just wonders around cursing everything. This might also contain John Barry's worst film score. A really terrible film.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

A Complete History of My Sexual Failures (2008) Chris Waitt 4/10

Blindness (2008) Fernando Meirelles 7/10

Let the Right One In (2008) Tomas Alfredson 7/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

The Counterfeiters (Stefan Ruzowitsky) 6.5/10

Not as emotionally involving as the subject matter would lead you to believe, it was merely okay.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--Damien wrote:Whaddya know, a left-wing children's movie. And it's a film saturated with kindness.

Yes, and it stars that wonderful child actress, Abigail Breslin.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619531
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Kit Kittredge: An American Girl (2008 Patricia Rozema)

Whaddya know, a left-wing children's movie. And it's a film saturated with kindness.

7/10
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I just watched it recently (during TCM's 31 Days of Oscar), and not having seen it before or lived through the era, I found it dull and not that funny. I love Mazursky's later work (esp. An Unmarried Woman, which I also just caught), but this seemed scattershot. Gould came off the best, I thought. He was funny and heartbreaking, especially during that last scene. Wood was never lovelier, but she and Culp were boring as hell.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:What stood out for me this time was how good Dyan Cannon was. Possibly because, uptight as she was, she came closest to embodying the audience's "are you people serious?" responses. ......... given how funny much of it was -- particularly the Cannon/Gould bedroom scene -- that was a limitation with which I could live.
I thought Cannon was hilarious in the scene with her analyst.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:Wood looked great, but didn't do anything special, nor did Culp.
How funny.....I thought these two came off more natural than Gould and Cannon.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Wow -- duelling responses posted simultaneously.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--Big Magilla wrote:
--Reza wrote:Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice (Paul Mazursky, 1969) 7/10

Really? I thought this thing was just silly in 1969 and downright embarrassing now. And I generally like Mazursky's films.

I was all set to be embarrassed but was quite pleasantly surprised. Who knows it could be because I am down with the flu and am generally feeling miserable.......and all that ''love'' talk perked me up a bit.

Bob Culp and Natalie Wood (at her loveliest) come off better than the two nominated actors....Elliott Gould and Dyan Cannon. And I loved the costumes worn by all four stars.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619555

Return to “Other Film Discussions”