Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Inju (2008) Barbet Schroeder 1/10

This and Desperate Measures are the major lows of Schroeder's erratic directional career to date. Most of the story takes place in Japan where a French writer (Benoit Magimel) is promoting his latest book. The 'villian's' identity and the outcome of the film are very obvious early on. It's pretty silly stuff screaming for an equally appalling Hollywood remake.

Precious (2009) Lee Daniels 4/10

Overblown cliched soap opera that is a somewhat more somber experience then Lee Daniels far more entertaining first feature, Shadowboxer.

The only aspect of the film that impressed me was Mo'Nique who brought some life and energy to the film. I probably responded well to Mo'Nique beacuse she reminded me of Divine's portrayal of Dawn Davenport in John Water's Female Trouble. One particular scene (which Mo'Nique does not appear in) looks like a direct homage or rip-off of the school classroom scene from Female Trouble.

Funnily enough another scene owes something to Chang-dong Lee's Oasis though I suspect this would be nothing more then a consequence.

A bit of trivia - the name of the supporting character played by Mo'Nique in Daniel's Shadowboxer was called Precious.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1265362664
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

New York, I Love You (Various Directors, 2009) 5/10

Julie Christie and Robin Wright Penn stand out amongst a great group of actors in assorted short stories.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

A Prophet

8/10

Very good, some excellent acting by Tahar Rahim and Niels Arestrup..
And a haunting score by Alexandre Desplat.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

The Milk of Sorrow

5.5/10

Solid, but doesn't deserve a nomination.

Edited By dreaMaker on 1265124289
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Ethan Frome (1993) John Madden 5/10

Muted, if well acted version of Edith Wharton's novel of love and regret in rural mid-19th Century Massachusetts with Liam Neeson as the brooding farmer, Joan Allen his sickly wife, Patricia Arquette his true love, Tate Donovan the new minister and Katharine Houghton the old friend. Time has not been kind to this one.

The House of the Seven Gables (1940) Joe May 8/10

Re-tooled version of Nataniel Hawthorne's classic tale of revenge is nevertheless powerful in its own right with excellent performances from Vincent Price, who even gets to sing, as the wrongfully accused murderer and Margaret Lindsay as the woman who waits for him. Also with George Sanders (top billed as the villain) and Dick Foran and Nan Grey as the young lovers. Frank Skinner's score was nomianted for an Oscar.

The Man With Two Faces (1934) Archie Mayo 6/10

A showcase for Edward G. Robinson as an actor who uses stage makeup to conceal a murder in plain sight. Not bad, but not exactly a missing masterpiece either. The rest of the cast, including Mary Astor, Richardo Cortez, Mae Clarke and Louis Calhern is rather under-utilized.

Union Depot (1932) Alfred E. Green 7/10

Pre-code double entendres fly fast and furious in this depression era romp with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. as a bum playing "gentleman for a day" opposite Joan Blondell as a down at her heels chorus girl. The Warner Bros. stock company is in good stead in support both billed (Guy Kibee, Alan Hale, Frank McHugh) and un-billed (Ethel Griffies, Maude Eberne, Dickie Moore).
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

dws1982 wrote:Evil (Mikael Hafstrom)
Dead Poets Society as directed by Michael Haneke.
LOL. So true!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Lovely Bones (Peter Jackson, 2009) 7/10

I would now like to read the book although it should have been the other way round. Well made film but extremely downbeat despite the ''colourful'' view of the dead. I didn't understand the end. Why didn't the police followup on the lead found by the daughter? Or did they? Divine intervention adds closure instead. Stanley Tucci is excellent. And I liked Susan Sarandon.......more her ''look'' than the performance.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Evil (Mikael Hafstrom)
Dead Poets Society as directed by Michael Haneke.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

...catching up on a few this weekend+...
The Messenger
7.5/10
I am amazed everytime I see Samantha Morton. And she is the biggest standout in this. The uncut scene in the kitchen between her and Ben Foster is hypnotizing! Why is she not a lock for a nomination?!

An Education
7.5/10

A Serious Man
8.5/10
I am so impressed! I loved it.

The White Ribbon
6.5/10
Very disappointed. For a film filled with mulitple mysterious events I waited through almost two and a half hours to an ending which revealed nothing at all!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Blind Side (John Lee Hancock) - 5/10
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Phil Lord/Chris Miller) - 7/10
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

An Education (Lone Scherfig, 2009) 7/10

I liked the 1960s atmosphere which brought back memories of the films made in Britain at the time. Also liked Carey Mulligan though don't understand why she has been compared to Audrey Hepburn. Rosamund Pike is also outstanding and I'm glad some of the London critics have recognised her performance with nominations.

Precious (Lee Daniels, 2009) 6/10

Films like this always make me think that we have our own troubles here in Pakistan while the ones in the U.S.A., in many ways, are of a more serious nature......dealing with the family unit (or lack of). What amazes me is that a Government so interested in the lives of other nations has failed to address and help out with basic issues of their own people. Yes, I know they are ''trying''.

Extremely disturbing film about child abuse and incest, with Gabourey Sidibe a standout as the damaged teenager. Mo'Nique is also very good as the abusive mother while it was a surprise to see how effective Mariah Carey is as the welfare counselor.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Law Abiding Citizen (2009) F Gary Gray 1/10

The Road (2009) John Hillcoat 4/10

Johnny Mad Dog (2008) Jean-Stephane Sauvaire 7/10

Tanner '88 (1988) Robert Altman 7/10

I finally bit the bullet and purchased the Criterion DVD of this acclaimed HBO series. I tend to find the American political process rather complex and uninteresting and thankfully the characters in Altman's satire are a very watchable lot. Pamela Reed all but steals the show.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Blade Runner - 6/10

There Will Be Blood - 10/10

Fight Club - 9/10

Requiem for a Dream - 8/10
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sherlock Holmes (Guy Ritchie, 2009) 6/10

Enjoyed Robert Downey's flippant, witty take on Holmes. Good production design and costumes but lousy cinematography.

Downey's recent surprire Oscar nod, the success of Ironman and his GG win for this film means that with the right 'serious' film role we could soon see him at the podium on Oscar night. He is now fairly well loved by the Hollywood community to win votes. He is on the verge.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Fantastic Planet (Rene Laloux) - 8/10

Return to “Other Film Discussions”