Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Jiyan (2002) Jano Rosebiani 4/10

Salvation (2009) Paul Cox 6/10

Duplicity (2009) Tony Gilroy 5/10

12 Rounds (2009) Renny Harlin 1/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Watchmen

8/10
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

The International

5/10
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

--flipp525 wrote:(and is approaching ITALIANO-levels of repetition).

You seem to be obsessed with ME though.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577631
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Enchanted April (1992) - Mike Newell

6/10

Fine little british film that looks like a made for television film from the BBC. Overall the cast is very good and the real standout is Joan Plowright who really deserved her oscar nomination.

The 1992 BSA race was really tight. My choice still is Judy Davis, but I wouldn't mind any of the other four winning.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--Mister Tee wrote:Lovely Bones does seem just the right material for the director of Heavenly Creatures, We'll see if his time among the behemoths has rendered him no longer capable of dealing on such a small scale.

Sebold's novel really does seem like the perfect material for this director especially in light of how he handled the wonderful fantasy sequences in Heavenly Creatures. The Lovely Bones' "Heaven" sequences are numerous and important to the impact of the story. I wouldn't handover the presentation of Susie Salmon (a difficult character, no matter how you look at it) with just any director. Just because a director has gone BIG, to me, doesn't mean he cannot return to his roots. This seems like just the right opportunity to do so.

And, yes, Tee, Lynskey was hauntingly effective. I was surprised at how much she took control, too. Especially in that final scene when it seem Winslet wanted to perhaps back out?

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577703
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote:Heavenly Creatures (dir. Peter Jackson, 1994) 7/10

A fairly absorbing coming-of-age/true crime tale filled with imaginative direction and a consistent narrative point-of-view. Even though the audience knows the murder is coming the whole time, it's still a rather shocking, horrific scene. Kate Winslet shines in her screen debut and Melanie Lynskey is very believable as an impressionable, young girl who does the unthinkable (and I recognized her from "The L Word"!)

This film reinstates my faith in Peter Jackson's directorial prowess (after the masterbatory LOTR series) and makes me look forward to what he'll end up doing with The Lovely Bones, another story that is both fantastical yet brutal in its depiction of adolescence and violence.
Lovely Bones does seem just the right material for the director of Heavenly Creatures, We'll see if his time among the behemoths has rendered him no longer capable of dealing on such a small scale. (And I liked the Rings movies, though progressively less as they went along. It was King Kong I thought insufferable)

I went into Heavenly Creatures with little expectation -- somehow I'd managed to not hear much about critical response -- and I was completely wowed. Jackson was my best director that year, largely for the fantasy sequences. But the film's great achievement was capturing the life-perspective difference between parents and children -- the way something totally irrational (like, you can't move away) seems not only reasonable but certain from a child's point of view.

Obviously in retrospect you notice Winslet. But when I saw the film, Lynskey was the standout for me. What surprised me was how she became the dominant force in the friendship. The opening scene -- Winslet being such an extrovert -- would lead you to think she was the one who'd steer the narrative.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Heavenly Creatures (dir. Peter Jackson, 1994) 7/10

A fairly absorbing coming-of-age/true crime tale filled with imaginative direction and a consistent narrative point-of-view. Even though the audience knows the murder is coming the whole time, it's still a rather shocking, horrific scene. Kate Winslet shines in her screen debut and Melanie Lynskey is very believable as an impressionable, young girl who does the unthinkable (and I recognized her from "The L Word"!)

This film reinstates my faith in Peter Jackson's directorial prowess (after the masterbatory LOTR series) and makes me look forward to what he'll end up doing with The Lovely Bones, another story that is both fantastical yet brutal in its depiction of adolescence and violence.

Edited By flipp525 on 1238009719
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The Commitments (dir. Alan Parker) - 6/10

Very entertaining but why couldn't it be about something? Or be a movie? Or bring us into Jimmy Rabbit? Great "Dark End of the Street" though.
"How's the despair?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I Love You, Man- 6/10

Mister Tee cringes as I post this film in this thread, but really I don't see this as a stand alone "critic review" type thread. Really there isn't too much new per se in this film, outside Paul Rudd on his lonesome as a mainstream star of a film in this seemingly forever long line of Apatow type deals. Jason Segal provides several of the laughs, I know, but we'll say that Sarah Marshall thing was his "big time". The script is unbelievably strange and oftentimes awkward, but less so than a Wedding Crashers - this is loud and funny look at me and laugh- type way. I'd see several more of these Paul Rudd films. Overall, I thought this was actually impressive compared to all the films thrown down our throats on a monthly basis in this same vein. I laughed a lot and most of the time it was a joke that triggered thoughts of how did someone come up with that? rather than just a new version of a typical genitalia or dirty sex joke.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

--Sabin wrote:When one considers how far superior Anjelica Huston and Gwyneth Paltrow were in The Royal Tenenbaums or Scarlett Johansson in Ghost World or Frances O'Connor in A.I. or Carrie-Ann Moss in Memento, it's hard to muster much enthusiasm.

A great list... still, out of the actual nominees, Smith was robbed.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577712
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

/Synecdoche, New York/ (dir. Charlie Kaufman) - 9/10

...still.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

--Eric wrote:This Crash revisionism is amusing to say the least. Normally I prefer arrogantly bad movies to tastefully pointless or pointlessly tasteful ones, but Crash is the big walloping exception to that rule.

Ditto, though I have more tolerance for pointlessly tasteful than you, I think.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241577723
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Love Story (1970) - Arthur Hiller

9/10

I really really liked this one. Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal have great chemistry and are both luminous in this. The direction is also quite good. It didn't felt dated for a single second. This has become my new guilty pleasure. (you can start mocking me now...)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I wasn't in love with any of those performances. I remember at the time being down with Marisa Tomei but that was mostly sentiment, I think. Her accent is really quite shakey. Winslet doesn't begin to register in Iris. She was better the previous year in Quills, and the year before that in Holy Smoke!. Were I to choose now, it would be Maggie Smith but that really is the kind of role she could do in her sleep. That doesn't make it any less delightful though. Mirren is quite good as well, but my favorite performances from Gosford Park were not nominated and I think that has some impact on it. When one considers how far superior Anjelica Huston and Gwyneth Paltrow were in The Royal Tenenbaums or Scarlett Johansson in Ghost World or Frances O'Connor in A.I. or Carrie-Ann Moss in Memento, it's hard to muster much enthusiasm.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Other Film Discussions”