Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

That Hamilton Woman (1941; Alexander Korda) 8/10

Lavish romance/propaganda, using the tale of the notorious affair between Lord Nelson (Laurence Olivier) and Lady Emma Hamilton (Vivien Leigh) to give the Blitz-weary Brits some inspiration. Extraordinary sets and costumes, Olivier and Leigh are marvelous, and there are some occasionally wonderful set-pieces, but the cummulative effect isn't as effective as I'd hoped. Still, definitely worth seeing.

Edited By Penelope on 1255923341
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Children of Men - 8/10
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

/HIDDEN/ (M. Haneke) - 7/10

This is a skillfully made movie with very strong indictments of the entitlement of the bourgeois. He says that beyond their culpability in the French-Algerian war, the entitled lie and hide because they can afford to. Both Georges and Anne range between telling white lies and leading secret lives. Haneke creates some terrifying imagery but I can't help but think that this is a brilliant concept shoehorned into another diatribe that Haneke keeps covering again and again. I would have prefered a thriller about who is sending the tapes all things considered.

THREE TIMES (Hou) - 6/10

I'd really like to like this movie more, I really would. Almost as much as I like being perceived as intelligent.

1. A man's idyllic dominion placed over a woman can be adorable.

2. A man's forceful dominion placed over a woman can be heartbreaking.

3. With all the freedom in the world, a woman is lost without history.

Ultimately it's all about history. I'm sure I don't know like some on this board about the repression of China's own history. I found Hou's final tale to be lethargic, and I couldn't relate to the entirety of the film on an emotional level. It's gorgeous filmmaking and the first story is incredibly transporting.
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Damn, that's why I hate my english. From all the versions that came after the original film... Jakson's might be the definitive one, according to some sources that talks too much about its accuracy and truthfulness to the original film. I couldn't know since I hadn't seen any of the previous adaptations. Now that I've finally seen the 1976 version I can say it was nice to watch. That's all...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Original story? King Kong was not a literary adaptation.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Yes FilmFan, I know you're right, that's why I said "it might be considered...". But I've read so many times that Jackson's film is the more truthful version to the original story that I had to said that.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:King Kong (1976): 6,5/10

All I can say is that Jessica Lange was extremely hot... While Jackson's version might have a lot of strengths and might be considered the definitive version of the original story, at times this gets to be more entertaining. Jackson took the story to a level of seriousness that wasn't necessary. This was fun to watch.
I think the definitive is the 1933 Merien C. Cooper/Ernest Schoedsack version, hands down!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Zahveed wrote:Where the Wild Things Are - 9/10
really? is it that good?
what did you like about the film?
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

King Kong (1976): 6,5/10

All I can say is that Jessica Lange was extremely hot... While Jackson's version might have a lot of strengths and might be considered the definitive version of the original story, at times this gets to be more entertaining. Jackson took the story to a level of seriousness that wasn't necessary. This was fun to watch.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Samson and Delilah (Warwick Thornton) - 8.5/10
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Blaze Starr Goes Nudist (1962) Doris Wishman 3/10
Man Made Monster (1941) George Waggner 4/10
Horror Island (1941) George Waggner 4/10
Anti Clock (1979) Jane Arden & Jack Bond 6/10
Midnight Mary (1933) William Wellman 4/10
Couples Retreat (2009) Peter Billingsley 1/10
Adam Resurrected (2008) Paul Schrader 7/10
Tricks (2007) Andrzej Jakimowski 4/10
Swastika (1973) Philippe Mora & Lutz Becker 6/10
Weekend at Dunkirk (1964) Henri Vernueuil 4/10
My Sister Maria (2002) Maximilian Schell 6/10
Who's Who (1979) Mike Leigh 7/10
Whatever Works (2009) Woody Allen 4/10
A Man Called La Rocca (1961) Jean Becker 4/10
Goryeo jany (1963) Ki-young Kim 8/10

This was the best film I've seen all week. It bares a very slightly similarity to the The Ballad of Narayama in that it's set in a village where the old are taken to die at a mountain when they reach the age of 70. However, the story unfolding under this mountain are far more disturbing then the Japanese films.

This film was an incredibly bleak and despairing experience, filmed mostly on a sound stage with theatrical style acting.

Unfortunately two reels of this 1963 film are missing (2 separate 10 minute sections) with only the soundtrack, dialogue and music, remaining.

Definitely worth seeking out.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Romeo and Juliet (1968; Franco Zefferelli) 9/10

Another one I hadn't seen in decades, but I've been thinking about it since seeing Bright Star--plus, the Dallas Symphony Orchestra is heavily promoting an upcoming concert of Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet--so I've been reminded of it every day. It holds up very well; I still think the comedy is too forced, but the sets and costumes are magnificent, Nino Roto's score memorable and Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey are absolutely exquisite as the doomed lovers; as a bonus, Zefferelli really love to linger over Whiting's stunning beauty.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

/Yi Yi/ (dir. E. Yang) - 9.5/10

Yup. Still basically perfect.
"How's the despair?"
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

The Hangover 3/10
(the last time I am listening to popular opinion)

Went The Day Well? 7/10
(1942 UK) propaganda film about German paratroopers taking over a small English town, passing themselves off as British soldiers.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Where the Wild Things Are - 9/10
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “Other Film Discussions”