The AMc/Universal Deal

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: The AMc/Universal Deal

Post by Precious Doll »

Disney's decision with Mulan came as a surprise but then again not. I suppose I'm surprised because it happened sooner than I expected - I thought they may have held off a few more months but then no a surprise because the pandemic is worsening pretty much everywhere and it is not going to be a good time anytime soon.

I imagine a physical media release will follow in a few months though I wonder if they will nevertheless release Mulan in the markets where cinemas are still open - it's a bit of extra change for them and not everybody is able to stream.

I look at the likely demise of cinema as we know it with mixed feelings. I have always and continue to love the big screen experience. It can really add to a viewing experience partially if you see a great film with a great audience.

On the other hand I won't miss some of the bad behaviour that one can encounter from time to time at the cinema. As a matter of fact I encountered some of the worst behaviour earlier in the year that I've ever experienced, so bad that I'm never going back to that particular cinema complex again (unless it relates to festival screenings). Ironically they can something opening commercially next week that I want to see but I'll wait for streaming. Just no - the final straw was broken and I've cut that cinema complex loose.

And whilst I enjoy watching films at home it simply isn't like the cinema experience and not that home is always an ideal place anyway. Street or neighbour nose can be intrusive at times not to mention that sometimes I fall asleep and have to rewatched the missed bits which very rarely happens at the cinema. Pets tails blocking my vote can be a nuisance, the demand for attention or the instance that I can be laid on or worse having been bitten and scratched to the attention of my pampered ones. Still one can always stop a film at home to take a toilet break and rewind when necessary.

I suppose the next test will be Tenet. Its scheduled to open on 27 August in most markets but I'm having my doubts. That is still three weeks away and a lot can happen in a pandemic in that short period of time.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

If Mulan does well on Disney+ (it's accessible for an extra fee, so regular subscribers won't have access unless they pay for it), it'll be a big game-changer for how movies are distributed. You can't put that genie back in the bottle.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Meanwhile, Mulan is going to Disney+

Gotta say, I think we might see streaming play a bigger role this year than some of us anticipated.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The article says that it only applies to VOD releases, which indicates that Netflix films will still be off limits for them. But I suspect it's a matter of time before they announce they're going to play Netflix films as well. (The Irishman and Marriage Story both had longer theatrical windows than they're agreeing to with Universal.) AMC was already in terrible financial shape before the pandemic, and there've been rumblings off and on that they might not be able to re-open at all, so I suspect they'll do what they have to to keep the doors open.
Okri
Tenured

The AMc/Universal Deal

Post by Okri »

Link

This is pretty shattering, right?

Return to “Other Film Discussions”