1957 Harvard Lampoon Awards

1895-1999

What was the worst film you've seen from Harvard Lampoon's list of 1957's worst?

Raintree County
No votes
The Pride and the Passion
50%
Peyton Place
No votes
Island in the Sun
No votes
Jeanne Eagels
25%
Funny Face
25%
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
No votes
The Sun Also Rises
No votes
Pal Joey
No votes
April Love
No votes

Total votes: 4

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 1957 Harvard Lampoon Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

It shouldn't have been, but It was probably the age difference between Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire which everyone seemed to notice at the time. Harvard age men were particularly bothered by Audrey's films opposite men old enough to be her father - Humphrey Bogart in Sabrina, Gary Cooper in Love in the Afternoon and Astaire here.

The Oscar nominated screenplay was written by Leonard Gershe about the courtship of his friends Doe and Richard Avedon. Doe Avedon (the stewardess in The High and the Mighty) married third husband Don Siegel in 1957. The famous photographer, who did the still photography on the film, was her first husband. They married in 1944 when he was 21 and she was 19 and divorced five years later. There wasn't much difference in their ages. Astaire was 57 and Hepburn 27 when they made Funny Face. Astaire made just one more film as a leading man, the already in the can Silk Stockings, before hanging up his screen dancing shoes. Even he thought the age difference between him and his leading ladies was ridiculous.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I wonder why Funny Face is on this list?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Lots of good choices this year.

For me it comes down to a toss-up between the silly The Pride and the Passion and the Anthony Quinn-Gina Lollobrigida desecration of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.. I think I'll go with the Cary Grant-Sophia Loren-Frank Sinatra fiasco, The Pride and the Passion.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

1957 Harvard Lampoon Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

The Worst Film of the Century Award: This award, given every hundred years, is presented for the century 1857-1957 to Otto Preminger's Saint Joan.
Worst Actor: Rock Hudson, A Farewell to Arms
Worst Actress: Kim Novak, Jeanne Eagels, Pal Joey
Worst Supporting Actor: McGeorge Bundy, To the Age That Is SWaiting
Worst Supporting Actress: Joan Collins, Island in the Sun
The "Any Connection?" Prize: Given jointly to Rita Hayworth, Fire Down Below, and Bing Crosby, Man on Fire
The Suzy Parker Award for the most inauspicious male debut: Pat Boone, Bernardine
The Pat Boone Award for the most inauspicious female debut: Suzy Parker, Kiss The for Me

Return to “The First Century”