NBC Pulls Out of Telecasting Golden Globes

For the films of 2021
anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: NBC Pulls Out of Telecasting Golden Globes

Post by anonymous1980 »

You forgot that there was no Golden Globe show in 2008 due to the writers’ strike. They just announced the winners at a press conference.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The rocky history of the Golden Globes and TV

No TV prior to 1958 awards in January 1959, then:

1958-1963 KTLA (Los Angeles) only
1964-1965 Andy Williams Show
1966-1967 NBC
1968-1971 NOT BROADCAST
1972 Metromedia
1973 Metromedia live in LA, syndicated nationwide following day
1974-1975 Metromedia
1976 NOT BROADCAST
1977 NBC
1978 NOT BROADCAST
1979 Syndication
1980-1981 CBS
1982-1986 Syndication (Dick Clark Productions)
1987 ABC
1988-1994 TBS
1995-2020 NBC
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:I see this going one of four ways:

1. This will all get resolved before the end of the year and the awards go on like usual.

2. The HFPA will find an alternative network whether streaming or cable to produce or air the show.

3. No awards ceremony but they will vote on the nominees and winners and announce them just the same.

4. No awards at all.
Option 1 doesn't seem likely. It's the "in' thing to dump on the Globes in 2021.

I don't think option 2 is possible due to the minutia in the NBC contract. They have exclusive rights through a certain date which means either they broadcast them or no one does.

Option 3 would make sense, but if they do that without solving the issues, they will be even more shunned.

Option 4 could mean the end of the organization for all time, which begs the question, what will become of the Satellites?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Me, three.

To be clear, I have nothing against precursors per se, but I prefer the ones that don't put on a show.

The Spirit Independent Awards are an exception because they are such a low-key, non-dress-up affair that they don't detract from the Oscar show. One red carpet walk should be enough per season.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

My god, this is provoking a display of shamelessness notable even by Hollywood standards. People who very recently basked in winning Globes are now declaring how vile they are. Journalists are JUST NOW discovering the Globes haven't always been on the up and up -- something most of us have known since the Zadora years, if not earlier (if you want a recent reminder, may I mention The Tourist). I'm getting a wickedly strong whiff of "I'm shocked to find gambling going on here."

Thing is, I've been watching the Globes (whenever they were televised) since 1964, and I've always tolerated them because they varied so much -- some years (like 1973 or 1974), they were barely in the same universe as the Oscars; others (like 1971 or 1975), they matched spectacularly. And they seemed indifferent to which of those outcomes emerged (unlike the Broadcasters, who are just about hanging their heads in shame for missing three of four acting winners this year). The problem isn't the Globes per se; it's the Oscar industrial complex, that insists each individual award show serve as building block and prelude to...not even the Oscars themselves; the ability of pundits to PERFECTLY PREDICT THE OSCARS. As if that were some fabulous achievement.

So, I'm with danfrank: I'd be happy if we could eliminate the SAGs and Broadcasters as well (and move BAFTA back to afterwards/separate, like they were fpr decades). But I don't get why the Globes in particular have to suffer this display of wrath. It's the whole system that's rotten.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I see this going one of four ways:

1. This will all get resolved before the end of the year and the awards go on like usual.

2. The HFPA will find an alternative network whether streaming or cable to produce or air the show.

3. No awards ceremony but they will vote on the nominees and winners and announce them just the same.

4. No awards at all.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I won’t cry any crocodile tears if the Golden Globes go away altogether. I’m glad they’re being called out for their bogus-ness. They gained credibility with the public for no reason at all except that they put on a star-filled, entertaining show that was broadcast on network television. I suppose anyone who wants to can give out awards but I prefer that lesser groups (pretty much anything but the Oscars, in my mind) not be given a prominent platform.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Tom Cruise Returns Golden Globe Awards in Protest of HFPA

https://trib.al/9wEIPYb
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: NBC PUlls Out of Telecasting Golden Globes

Post by Big Magilla »

This is sad.

Although I've long thought of the Golden Globes as the Golden Bullshit awards, they were always a fun predicter.

They should never have had the power they were believed to have had, but a lot of that came from being the first televised event which gave Oscar voters a chance to assess how potential nominees looked and behaved at the event. I always think of how Jack Lemmon disgraced himself by being drunk at the 1973 Golden Globe awards and then doing a mea culpa in the press which only endeared him more to voters who gave him his second Oscar for the virtually unwatchable Save the Tiger.

Can they come back for the 2022 awards in 2023? I don't know. How can you get respectability back for an organization that never really had any?

The Broadcast Critics, do, however, become the first televised awards of the season, but keep them off network TV. They don't need any more exposure than they already have.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Those of us with long track records know the Globes have spent time in the wilderness before -- in the post-Zadora era -- but, with awards shows declining across the board, I'm not sure they have another comeback in them.

Something that enrages about this, however: some entertainment reporters are advocating for the Globes' place in Awards Season to be taken by the Broadcasters. Yeah, because their Predict-Oscars-Uber-Alles ethics are pristine.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

NBC Pulls Out of Telecasting Golden Globes

Post by Mister Tee »

Last edited by Mister Tee on Mon May 10, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “94th Academy Awards”