NBC Pulls Out of Telecasting Golden Globes

For the films of 2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: NBC Pulls Out of Telecasting Golden Globes

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Press Release:

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) has announced the awards timetable for the 79th Annual Golden Globe® Awards. Nominations will be announced on Monday, December 13, 2021, with award winners announced on January 9, 2022.

Produced in partnership with MRC Live & Alternative, the Golden Globe Awards are one of the few awards ceremonies to include both motion picture and television achievements.

The deadline for Motion Picture and Television submissions is Monday, November 15, 2021.
This should be interesting. Wonder if they now pull some "surprises" â la the Baftas when they come up with their nods. Diversity with a capital D.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Press Release:

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) has announced the awards timetable for the 79th Annual Golden Globe® Awards. Nominations will be announced on Monday, December 13, 2021, with award winners announced on January 9, 2022.

Produced in partnership with MRC Live & Alternative, the Golden Globe Awards are one of the few awards ceremonies to include both motion picture and television achievements.

The deadline for Motion Picture and Television submissions is Monday, November 15, 2021.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They can't shop a TV broadcast for the next awards around. It would break their contract with NBC for future broadcasts.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Reza wrote:If they have made amendments to their rules after the backlash why refrain from it being a televised event?
NBC has already dumped the Globes for next year and I suspect that even if they could shop around to other networks, the HFPA is reluctant to go live on TV with a ceremony that no one will attend.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

If they have made amendments to their rules after the backlash why refrain from it being a televised event?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It will be interesting to see how they handle this.

I suspect they will announce and/or present their awards on 1/8, the day before the Critics Choice.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Golden Globes will go ahead with their awards, but it won't be televised.

Unclear if it will be an actual gathering or just a press conference but they will vote on the nominees and winners.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Critics Choice Awards has taken over the Globes’ old time slot. They will air January 9th on the CW, making them the first televised awards show of the season.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There are major problems with the way the HFPA is structured. Its 80 members include a lot of dead wood that hasn't worked in journalism for decades. The racism relates to comments from a former HFPA president that Black Lives Matter is a racist organization, and the refusal of the HFPA to even look at a heavily Emmy rewarded show featuring black actors in the last couple of years.

Here is the latest from Variety, featuring a litany of issues:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/awards/gold ... 234970863/
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Reza wrote:
Sabin wrote:They have a diversity problem.
I thought it was a group made up of international journalists from all continents led by a Turk. How does it have a diversity problem? Is it because there is no black person in the group?
And a group that, despite the origin or race of their members, is capable of in good conscious recognizing performances by Black performers. Just this year they awarded Day, Boseman and Kaluuya. So... is one thing (member’s ethnicity, race or origin) really related to the outcome (representation all across the fields)?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:They have a diversity problem.
I thought it was a group made up of international journalists from all continents led by a Turk. How does it have a diversity problem? Is it because there is no black person in the group?
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

anonymous1980 wrote:I see this going one of four ways:

1. This will all get resolved before the end of the year and the awards go on like usual.
Following this line of thought, the network said it was hopeful it could resume airing the show in January 2023. NBC’s contract with the Globes runs through 2026.

Fingers crossed!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:You forgot that there was no Golden Globe show in 2008 due to the writers’ strike. They just announced the winners at a press conference.
You are right. I stopped researching once I got to 1995, knowing that they had been on NBC from then on, but I had a feeling I was missing something.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I think this is all just a storm in a teacup. A rancid teacup for sure. But it will blow over very fast. The Organization has been called out and shamed and they will quickly diversify membership. Even the Academy was called out for being too "white" which quickly resulted in assorted wins - James Earl Jones, Cicely Tyson, Wes Studi at the Governors' ball - which under their normal practice would never have happened.

Watch the Globes come up with an eclectic list of nominees and winners next year. Something on the lines, but not quite as drastic, as the Baftas. They will want to quickly shut down the brouhaha and carry on.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Over the last decade, the HFPA has had an amazing run through more memorable hosting outings (Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey/Amy Poehler, Seth Meyers) to proving a more impactful bellwether of the Academy Awards. Their taste hasn't been 1:1 exactly but they've been more effective at starting momentum (Bohemian Rhapsody/Malek, Glenn Close, 1917) and stopping it (A Star is Born/Lady Gaga, The Irishman). Generally speaking, the Golden Globes went from a skippable lark for drunk celebrities (that both audiences and celebrities could skip) to a pretty cool affair.

But that doesn't change the fact that this is a group of starfuckers with zero overlap with the industry. And these revelations only point that out more. They have a diversity problem. Their former President considered BLM a hate group. All it did was bring attention within the industry that they are not them. What claim do they have on this night? Especially considering they just had one of their flukiest years (Andra Day, Rosamund Pike, Jodie Foster, Trial over PYW) while BAFTA was dead-fucking-on. I look at these revelations and the first thing I think to myself is karma. These lucky bastards got away with being who they are for no reason for a long time.

The Golden Globes can recede to the background. We have SAG, we have BAFTA, we have the Critics Choice... We're fine. All it does is create more doubt and skepticism until the final awards. That said, returning Golden Globes is embarrassing.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “94th Academy Awards”